Brown Brush Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alkane

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just noticed I have some bba growing in my tank :banghead: I'd like to nip it in the bud before it gets any worse.

25g
Lights are 4 months old
pressurized co2 30ppm
Phos 1ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Ammonia 0
Light duration 8 hrs
10 fish under or around 1 inch in size
It's moderately planted, not heavy
2 t5 HOs 6500K
Sand bed with flourish tabs
Plants appear healthy

I'm scared to raise the co2 too much higher as some of the rummies appear to be slightly affected by the current levels. So at this point should I try to find an addition to my algae crew (SAE or amano) or tweak the dosing and in which direction?

Dosing daily CSM+B and a macro solution that gives about 5ppm Nitrate

Thanks

Reducing light or slowly raising CO2 are your best bets. If you CO2 is actually at 30 ppm, you have a lot further to go before it starts to negatively affect fish. 30 ppm is just a catch-all recommendation. Your tank may need more, depending on a number of factors (primarily light).

Ok I'll try that. I'm using a drop checker with a 4KH solution so the measurement isn't exact. The Solution is light green and on the opposite side of the tank from the diffuser. Co2 comes on 1 hr before lights on and shuts off 1 hour before lights out.

I do have the option to switch one 6500K bulb with a 10K. Not sure if that would help the situation.

I really don't want to decrease the light duration 8 hours of view time is pretty short as it is.

Increased co2 slightly, drop checker is green-yellow. All Rummynose are gasping at bottom of tank and have lost some of their color. Apistos and otto.s seem unaffected.

Hard to say specifically. I have two HOB power filters. An AC 50 on max flow and a smaller power filter that just runs without media or floss. I do get micro co2 bubble on the water surface.

I have an air pump if needed. Also have a nano powerhead I could put in, but I think it's a little overpowering for my apistos.

After some reading I'm going to reduce lighting to 7.5hrs, co2 is as high as my fish can stand it. I am going to have it turn on 3 hrs before lights on instead of 1 hr. Going to add the small power head for better circulation. Reducing the temp a few degrees. Also going to dose 2x excel for a few days.

Hopefully all of this will take care of the bba, and I will slowly get back to where I was originally only with a better idea of co2/light/fert ratios that are best for this setup.

Yep did that with the 2x dose today. Used half of it in a spray bottle mixed with water and sprayed areas exposed to air during a water change.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom