Brown Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, my tank is 9 days old and as of Thursday, my water seemed to be good. My PH was a little low at 8.0, so I added some buffer? to bring the PH up. Now as of yesterday I really noticed it alll over the live rock. I went out this afternoon and came back a few hours later to see it spread all over the sand. I understand this is part of the cycling process, but is there anything that I can do about it now?

If your tank is still cycling which in 9 days, my guess is... It is.

I highly suggest NOT doing a water change as this will compromise the cycle process. It's unsightly I understand and we all go through it. It's normal and trust me it go away eventually and you'll be staring at a wonderful tank.

Also I do not recommend adding any clean up crew members, snails, hermits etc. they are EXTREMELY sensitive to pH swings, salinity swings among other things.

Let the cycle take its course. You'll be glad you did!

Remember nothing good comes fast. Patience is key in this hobby.

Diatoms drove me CRAZY!! I understand where your coming from. Also just to add. Your lights don't need to be during your cycle phase. Not sure if you have them on or not but just wanted to mention that.

Good luck.

The diatoms feed off of silicates in your water and will usually just run their course once the silicates are used up. It's just all part of a new saltwater tank.

Depending on your water source, as I don't know yours, you could be adding more silicates to the water.

They are easily wiped off/siphoned up with water changes. When it comes time to do a water change after cycling you'll be able to remove some at that time.

If your tank has not cycled and is still in the cycling process I wouldn't add any snails or other inverts to your tank just yet.

Edit: This may be helpful

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=60

I really like the turbo snails and nassarius

Just want to mention that nassarius snails don't eat algae, they are carnivorous.

I do like them for stirring the sand bed and for taking care of uneaten food as most of what I feed my tank is meaty foods.

But again, no snails until cycled.

Good luck! I know how aggravating diatoms are. They definitely drove me nuts and haven't completely disappeared, almost though.

Thanks for everything guys. Unfortunately, I already have some hermit crabs as my lfs said they would be ok at the time. I have not done any water changes yet.

Back
Top Bottom