brown spots on anubis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
my boyfriend bought an anubis for his tank, and we noticed at the store that it has brown spots on it, but decided to get it anyway, as there's a lack of quality plants around here. they haven't changed, gotten better or worse, since being in the tank (only a few days). the larger yellowish brown spots are on 2 or 3 leaves, and then there's one leaf which has tiny dark spots which look slightly raised or textured. what is it?

oh, and yes, we know (now) that the grass in the background isn't aquatic. stupid pet shop.

Attachments

• p1030044_203.jpg
    p1030044_203.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 96
  • p1030045_181.jpg
    p1030045_181.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 164
I have to admit that I have a limited amount of knowledge when it comes to plants and even less when it comes to an Anubias, but I don't think that's one of them.
I have searched Plantgeek and have not found one that has 3 lateral lines that run through the center like that. Does it have a rhizome?

I know that doesn't answer your question, that I am still working on. nice Acorus. LOL. I mentioned that to a petsmart empolyee just the other day.

EDIT:

upon futher reseach I believe that is infact a Melon sword (Echinodorus osiris). any backers?

you'll have to excuse me, but what's a rhizome? :D

googling images of a melon sword, this plant doesn't really look like that. here's a shot of the whole plant.

Attachments

• p1030046_162.jpg
    p1030046_162.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 72
zenkatydid said:
you'll have to excuse me, but what's a rhizome? :D

what are the requirements of a melon sword? that tank has just under 2wpg, from memory, with a layer of red sea florabase, and we are looking at making a co2 injector. will it be happy there?

rhizome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizome

I'm not sure that it is a melon sword that's why I asked for someone to comfirm.

requardless, 2WPG and CO2 will make a lot of plants happy.

don't forget that once you start upping the growth rate of plants you have to start increasing the ferts aswell.

hm, i may have changed my mind. more googling, and some of the images do look like that. some seem to be shorter and have a reddish hint, which were the ones i looked at first. in that case, neat! thanks :)

good call on ID'ing that as a Melon Sword, rkilling1. When I got mine it looked kinda like that too (though it was mail order). Some of the leaves had brown edges and tips like that. With the right care (light and water conditions), new leaves will not exhibit the same problem, but those leaves will never look any better. Once you get some new growth (new leaves come out of the center) you can start to remove the older leaves.

Good luck! At least that one is meant to be submerged!

Back
Top Bottom