Brown SPS Need and ID on it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys I picked up this SPS about 2 weeks ago from a local it was growing out of hand and it did not want to color up for him no longer. This SPS turn brown on him originally it was a Purple green Color I believe he stated but I think it was more Purple than anything. The reason it stop colring for him because of the numerous corals and SPS that were around it.

Brown SPS
img_950125_0_9dcc188658b9d3ce64b0d7ed6147450d.jpg

Here is what it looked like before. Looks like he had it under Antinic Lighting when he took the Picture
img_950125_1_a9d3ab588e1897218f60ae5dbbea5485.jpg

If anyone can ID what this is and can give me the name of it I would really appreciated it.

Thank again

There are only a bazillion different types of Acropora, so it's normally tough to positively ID them.

Corals can change colors for many different reasons. It may have stopped "coloring" for him because it was just finally getting used to it's new home in his tank and decided not to be purple. I'd get it off your sand bed though and get it up higher in the tank. I'm not an SPS guy, but I'm pretty sure it won't be happy down there no matter what the lighting. (Unless of course it was under low light to start with, and you just have it down there to acclimate.)

Thanks Kurt, Yes I was acclimating it to low light and working my way up the ladder it is now in a high spot in the tank almost directly in front of my Koralia for some good flow and lighting. Right now it is growing and changing colors at the tips only right now. but it looks like it's going to do well.

There are only a bazillion different types of Acropora, so it's normally tough to positively ID them.

Corals can change colors for many different reasons. It may have stopped "coloring" for him because it was just finally getting used to it's new home in his tank and decided not to be purple. I'd get it off your sand bed though and get it up higher in the tank. I'm not an SPS guy, but I'm pretty sure it won't be happy down there no matter what the lighting. (Unless of course it was under low light to start with, and you just have it down there to acclimate.)

I agree with Larry on the ID. I have the same coral. Mine is very blue but it is high in my tank and directly under a MH bulb.

Back
Top Bottom