Brown surface algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I get very little algae in my 46gal reef tank. Phoshates remain low thanks to the RO/DI water and PhosBan powder in my HOB.

However, I do get brown surface algae on the top of my substrate. It can be removed with an aquarium vacuum during my weekly water change but it comes back the very next day. It gets denser by the day and looks lousey.

Any suggestions?

How long do you run your lights?
How old are they?
What about lighting cycle, feeding cycle?

it also depends on your lights. I have the same problem with mine. Do you have PC, because they are known to cause brown algee. I recomend you keep up with the water changes, and also look into a skimmer and uv sterilizer if you dont have them already.

Thanks for all of your responses. Here is some additional ingfo:

1. Using a Coralife Lunar LIght with blue actinic, 10k and 2-tiny lunar lights. I originally set up the light timers as recommended (I think 8hrs for the 10k and an additional hour of actinic before & after) but reduced both lights by an hour because of the surface algae. The fixture is only 2 months old

2. Running a ProClear Pro wet/dry with internal skimmer and using LR rubble instead of bio balls.

3. I feed once a day and food appears to be consumed at feeding except for a small piece of dried seaweed which is rubberbanded to a small rock. I have a large clean-up crew. 4-lg hermit crabs, 4-tiny hermit crabs, 6-large nassaris, 50-tiny nassaris, 3-huge turbos, 8-asst snails, 1-fromas star, 1-abalone, 4 different shrimp & 1-purple urchin.

4. Flow is pretty good. I have one 300gph PH, 1-200gph PH, wet/dry is pumping 500gph and I use a large AC HOB for chemical filtration. I shut the pumps off when feeding. Any food that settles to the bottom will be blown away from the front of the tank when the pumps are put back on. Water circulation appears to be strong enough to keep any uneaten food suspended until eaten or sucked up by one of the two intakes.

I would reduce feeding to every other day. Other than that, it looks like you have a great set up.
I have questions for you. How do you like the abalone? I have wanted one.

I have questions for you. How do you like the abalone? I have wanted one

The Abalone are easy to care for and seem hardy. They add to the bio-diversity of the tank and are interesting in their own way. They rarely seem to move but are in different places every day. Cost about $18 if I remember right.

Back
Top Bottom