Brown Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slappy Kincaid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank that I put together three months ago. It has a couple little danios and a nerite snail in it and I believe it is fully cycled. Put a new OTB filter on the tank. It has dragon stone and spiderwood in it for hardscape, gravel bottom, and a couple Java Ferns.

My water has turned brown--like ice tea. I added charcoal to the filter, thinking it was tannins from the wood, but nothing. Replaced about 30% of the water, but it is still brown (now more of an amber). I'm guessing it is a bacterial bloom, but it is not dissipating or cycling through and it has been 2 months.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Do you know your water parameters? Including pH, GH/KH?

How often are you doing pwc's?

Did you move the old filter media to the new filter?

What is the food / foods, you are feeding?

pH is 7.8-8, I'm using R/O water. I can't measure the hardness of the water. Haven't seen any spikes in ammonia or nitrites, it comes back at 0 ppm every time I measure it and the nitrites are at about 20 ppm (hard to read the color chart, but it looks like it is right where it should be).

I did move the old filter medium to the new filter for about 3 months. Took it out this week to try to get more circulation and betting that the new ceramic balls would have built up a bacteria colony.

Feeding a little flake food about every 3 days. Just tropical fish flakes, nothing specialized.

I only do water changes of 20% about once a month right now. With just the 2 little fish and the javas, I wasn't very concerned about ammonia buildup.

NitrAtes at 20 are ok.

It doesn't seem that food flakes would be the culprit, though it is possible, but doesn't seem that. You could try leabing some flakes in a glass of water and compare the colors.

I would do the water changes every week add an extra too, and see if the water changing lightens up the water.

Carbon only lasts a week or so. Until it's exhausted. The curiosity is why.

So if the water changing doesn't help, you can try Purigen.

i think newer tanks usually have brown algae growth for the first 6 months then the algae matures or something and gets more green and the water clears up? i just read this about ten minutes ago and haven't done further research but maybe it's just the algae in the water? i guess every new tank is pretty much bound to have a brown algae problem for a while.

but look into it more because like i said i am not a expert on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom