Brush algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I don't have any real plants but i do plan to get some. It's quite hard you no to scrape the brush algae off. It's not so bad on the glass, I only have little random bits on the glass tho. It's the ornaments and immitation plants that have the most. So you think I should get them out and give them a scrub? Getting it off the immitation plants is the hardest thing to do but I'll give it a go.
Flying foxes sounds good to me to. Think I'll have to get some then maybe they might keep the little bits off the glass for me. Worth a try and if not they will be a nice addition to the tank :)

avcc said:
Yeah I don't have any real plants but i do plan to get some. It's quite hard you no to scrape the brush algae off. It's not so bad on the glass, I only have little random bits on the glass tho. It's the ornaments and immitation plants that have the most. So you think I should get them out and give them a scrub? Getting it off the immitation plants is the hardest thing to do but I'll give it a go.
Flying foxes sounds good to me to. Think I'll have to get some then maybe they might keep the little bits off the glass for me. Worth a try and if not they will be a nice addition to the tank :)

If you choose to get some SAE make sure they are true SAE not false aka flying foxes. Also make sure your tank is large enough.
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm
Since its on fake plants you don't need to worry about killing them. You can do a stronger bleach dip to kill it. Just make sure you rinse it off really well.

I had a look at the link and I'm pretty sure I get it so I know what I'm looking for :) thank you. When you say make the bleach stronger are you thinking half and half or less. Also the bleach will kill it yeah but I'll still have to scrub it to get it all off won't I? Or would I be better off scrubing it b4 the bleach dip? Sorry for the stupid question.

Oh and I've looked up what size tank is suitable for SAE and it's recommended 200l which is perfect cos that's what mine is :) so I'll get some in the new year.

Here are the step you should do, from my opinion.
1. take out the plants .
2. Scrub it off
3. dip it in deluded bleach clorex
4. Remove any object like your filter intake /out that are in the aquarium. Proceed with bleach dipping.
5. clean your windows. (if you have a temporary powerhead to grab your floating algae it very efficient .)
6. Remove powerhead with fish net under powerhead.
8. If your gravel is infected you can add hydrogen peroxyde directly on it. Stop filter for 40 min and more if you can. If You have a 30 gallons. You can add 60 ml of hydrogen peroxyde max.
7. Do a normal water change.
8. Put back all equipment. Filter first

After that algae will return, but keep removing it a bit at atime and you will be ok. One day you will stop. You could use algae removal, but i don't know them.

Thank you very much for that info. I did the bleach dip and washed the glass today but I haven't put the immitation plants back in yet as I want to keep washing them out for a few days. In a few days I'll clean the filter out and do another water change. Thank you :)

It actually looks kind of cool lol It's had plenty of time and nutrients to feed off by the looks of it. Best bet with algae eaters would be Garra gotylas. They eat every type of algae, and leave the plants alone. They are fairly new to the aquarium trade, so you may have trouble finding some. My LFS always has them stocked over Ottos, maybe yours is the same.

I think, Its good that you do a little at a time. So that they aquarium balance it's self out.

For the filters . Just if you don't know. Clean it with your old aquarium water. It won't be perfect , but it will keep they bacteria that you need. This is from my experience.

Cleaning the sponge in clean treated water may be ok if you have low nitrate level. What i mean is, your filter is a lot stronger then the fish need for filtration. Hop that make sense. Having a lot of biomax create that effect.

malaysan trumpet snails will clean it up i had some on my rocks and they got rid in days and they will leave your plants alone if you added live plants already and mine mostly come out at night spending the day burrowed in my and substrate

Back
Top Bottom