BTA advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was always told that overfeeding an anemone is stressful for the anemone. they get very little food in the wild. while target feeding nourishes them, it also forces them to expend a lot of energy digesting the large amount of food. i can show you people that never feed their anemones who are also successful in keeping them.
i'm glad it worked out for you.

btw, isn't that green bubble tip on the sand bed in the pic?

The great thing about our hobby (addiction) is that everyone has an opinion and certainly different things work for different people. You are absolutely correct that there are probably more who don't feed than do. Mine were both sickly when I got them and I was forced to feed them to get them healthy. I have been feeding them both a couple times a week ever since. There are numerous times where they simply won't take the food or only take part of it and leave the rest go. The only thing I have to go on is that both have grown like crazy the way I do it. Actually there is a rock under the bubble, he just covers it up. I've actually thought of finding some more flat rock to put around it to see if he will extend himself even further. Right now he is extending further to the sides and up than he is out into the tank because he won't go beyond the rock.

The funny thing is that after reading this thread i went to check out the nem and even though it looks like part of it is on the sand its really not. It lifts itself off the bottom with its tenticles hanging over just skimming the sand. It shrunk and expanded twice. Almost thought it had vanished. And it spews out slime that the clowns eat. It also appears that it is getting some of its brownish color back. Will post a pick tomorrow.

My condy didnt move the first several weeks I had it, then it moved about once per week, gradually going around the rock work, lately its been moving almost daily.

its really weird when it drops into ints foot and all you see is an orange bag. fully open its about 8" around

i feed it krill, 1/2 piece 2x per week or so, seems to be doing good with that.

BTAs are pretty funny creatures. Usually I don't target feed mine. Maybe about once every two weeks I will make sure to give an extra squirt of food from a turkey baster its way. The cleaner shrimp will steal the food from it and that freaks out the nem for a while. Because of that it is pretty stressful on it to target feed -- in my case.

Once they find a spot they like they usually don't ever move. They will expand and contract a lot during the day and as the photo period of the lights change (assuming you run the actinics and regular bulbs on separate cycles).

here's one of the rose bubbles i've kept. no rock under him. he stayed at the base of the rock work touching the sand. as a matter of fact, his foot was connected to the bottom of the tank.
img_1177554_0_f62cade3f82cfbaba59d019a7831282d.jpg

here's a maroon with another rbta, also on the sand bed. same thing- foot attached to the bottom pane of the tank.
img_1177554_1_0a4580300e98952dc8fcfd059b246b39.jpg

anemones don't typically emit slime. it's definitely a sign of stress.
i've kept a couple hundred anemones of various types. some for a couple weeks, some for a year. some of them move multiple times, and some of them will stay in the same place for 6 months then move. i really don't think it's the kind of thing that you can count on.

My Haitian anemone will sometimes emit a brown slime from the mouth that seems like poop and and then open back up beautifully, I've heard a few peoples do this. I've had mine for about 6 or 7 months.

Mr. X ur nems are sweet, very nice.

Update on my nem. Its progessing well here r some pics

img_1177934_0_cca1c40c42c829810ea169aa85701804.jpg

img_1177934_1_2a1256699d2d153fe36e8a93d96effdd.jpg

img_1177934_2_94cfef6a868722071602d25732864b01.jpg

img_1177934_3_2045e5ce81c804dabd3ab751694097b5.jpg

Nem under antinics

img_1177934_4_ef40f7e9e97d818b49ddcd8de893e0a8.jpg

img_1177934_5_7a4258d7742098db1b214c4e872850f6.jpg

I have a GBT and it did the same thing but luckily the rock it was upside down on I was able to move it to the correct position. Every time it goes underneath to where it can't get light I just change the rock position.

Mary

I would not move them around too much. They can move themselves. If it keeps going back underneath the rock I would not turn it over. Leave it where it is happy. They are not like a coral where you can place it at will.

I have a GBT and it did the same thing but luckily the rock it was upside down on I was able to move it to the correct position. Every time it goes underneath to where it can't get light I just change the rock position.

Mary

Hi all,
My GBTA is still moving underneath the rocks and it keeps going farther and farther underneath and now Big Mama (Clarkii) she has made something to the effect of a mote around the rock where my GBTA is under I am afraid if she kepts digging and pushing away the sand that the rocks will come tumbling down and break the glass.
What can I do? I have been reading through the threads here and many have said that they like medium water flow and that is actually where I had mine at but he keeps moving away from it and under the rocks.
Please help.

Mary

Hi Mary.

If you could post a couple pictures showing whats happening it would be a lot easier to understand exactly whats going on and give advice. IMHO it sounds to me like a little aquascaping is in order.

I have re-aquascaped several times now and will be again...
I am not sure how to attach the pictures to these Threads but I have them on my profile under albums (GBTA). I do not have a current picture as these where taken at different times. When I looked into the tank this morning it was even farther under the rock then what is in the picture and so was Big Mama underneath with the GBTA. Also it tentacles will not bubble they are longated. How do I get them to bubble up like they are suppose to?

Back
Top Bottom