Bubble tip anemone died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefa77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!
I'm new to this and overnight, thanks to a water pump I purchased that turns out NOT to be anemone safe, my bubble tip anemone was killed:-( He was doing sooooooo well too. Anyway I woke up and it had been sucked into the pump, which kept running, filling my tank with its death juice and clouding it right up. The only dead fish was my fire tail goby but my new. Bubble anemone looks like its struggling.

I've already performed about a 35% water change and everything's looking better. I've removed all the bits of anemone i could find and sucked out as much ooze as possible. I've also tested PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Alk and phosphate levels with good results. That was about 40 mins ago but still a bit cloudy. Should I wait before another water change? Also any other advice would be fantastic! I really don't want to lose anything else - that anemone was my favourite thing in the tank too:-(

Was the nem new to the tank? Has it been on the move a lot? Best thing to do is another big change of water and see what it's like in a day or so.

Was the nem new to the tank? Has it been on the move a lot? Best thing to do is another big change of water and see what it's like in a day or so.

No, I've had the Nem from the start but had recently introduced the new pump. He was moving around last night which I was happy about as he looked amazing. Really plump and colourful! Now mush.

Thanks I'll do another water change later on. Everyone seems happy in there, even the bubble Nem is looking a lot better though he's mouth hole is gaping open. I'm optimistic though!!

A happy nem stays in one spot. I would say with the introduction of the power head made it want to move. Such a shame tho, I have heard people DIYing a cover for your power heads might be worth a look? A gaping mouth is not a good sign, keep you eye on it, especially if it start moving again! Hope it pulls through...

A happy nem stays in one spot. I would say with the introduction of the power head made it want to move. Such a shame tho, I have heard people DIYing a cover for your power heads might be worth a look? A gaping mouth is not a good sign, keep you eye on it, especially if it start moving again! Hope it pulls through...

Thanks! I'm about to do the second water change. You're right, the new pump is why my BT moved, I've removed the murderous thing now and replaced with a Nem safe one:) I'll let you know how I go!

Thanks again, I've never done this forum thing - its so helpful:)

Yes it is! I've never used a forum before until I got into saltwater. I see you're in melbourne, me too. Most the helpful folks on here live in the US so its nice to see a local :)

Yeah I did notice you were a local! Thanks again for the advice, I did the second water change but still not crystal clear - I'll do one daily I think until it's normal again. Nitrite levels are a bit high I'm afraid:-(
My nem is struggling too, he's all deflated but still suckered onto some rock so he's not giving up at least! Crossing my fingers.
All the others seem fine, I guess that's the beauty of hardy fish like clowns and chromis:)
One thing I'm grateful for is it happened on a weekend - I'm sure the whole lot would have been soup if it were a work day:)

Back
Top Bottom