Bubble Trap question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm designing my own sump and will be putting a bubble trap (or traps) in it. Is there any advice for how far apart to put the plastic dividers from each other or does it make any difference as long as the water gets through it?

HI
Don't quote me on this but when i bulit my own sump after much research into the same question i found that most people used 1" as the divide then 2" at the bottom of the centre glass. hope this helps. there are other factors of what if anything are you planning on having between the gaps. if bioballs or filter sponge make sure it is that wide.

Last edited:
I've always read 1.5"-2" between baffles is better than 1" and 1-1.5" up from the bottom on the middle baffle.

hi
like i say dont quote me. i think everyone has there own way of measuring and no matter how long you look it is hard to get a difinitive answer. i spent months researching my sump then in the end just went with my gut feeling and other than having to add a really small powerhead because of lack of flow which caused cyano in sump it is working great.

depends on flow rate as well,if you have a high flow keep at least an inch between baffles,slow flows can be less.on a high flow sump bubbles can still be dragged through the baffles if they are close together.Also i tend to have the first baffle up from the bottom to help stop any bubbles entering the baffles(as bubbles float)then over the next and under the last,but if you have sand after the baffles either add a forth baffle or have the first one down to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom