bubble tube thing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone ever use one of those bendable bubble things??

I just bought one today and i hooked it up and its not working lol i dunno if I just don't have enough power going to it or what but i got no bubbles :/

Anyone ever use one of those bendable bubble things??

I just bought one today and i hooked it up and its not working lol i dunno if I just don't have enough power going to it or what but i got no bubbles :/
'

Heard of them, but never had one.

That said, if you disconnect it, are you getting air out of your airline tubing? If you disconnect the airline tubing from the air pump are you getting air out of it?

That will tell you if its the bubbler, the tubing, or the pump that's at fault and help you narrow it down at least.

RussellC said:
'

Heard of them, but never had one.

That said, if you disconnect it, are you getting air out of your airline tubing? If you disconnect the airline tubing from the air pump are you getting air out of it?

That will tell you if its the bubbler, the tubing, or the pump that's at fault and help you narrow it down at least.

well there's air coming out of the pump I know that for a fact, didn't check the other end of the airline tho, checked for any kinks n stuff, nothing like that found.

well there's air coming out of the pump I know that for a fact, didn't check the other end of the airline tho, checked for any kinks n stuff, nothing like that found.

I'd disconnect the tubing from the bubbler and stick the end of the tubing it in the water. If you get bubbles out of the tubing, it's the bubbler. If not, it's the tubing.

Do you use an airline check valve? If so, is it installed the right direction? Get that thing backwards and it'll block your airflow.

RussellC said:
I'd disconnect the tubing from the bubbler and stick the end of the tubing it in the water. If you get bubbles out of the tubing, it's the bubbler. If not, it's the tubing.

Do you use an airline check valve? If so, is it installed the right direction? Get that thing backwards and it'll block your airflow.

No check valve, just going straight from pump to bubbles, ill have to disconnect it later on after work and see

DanS180 said:
No check valve, just going straight from pump to bubbles, ill have to disconnect it later on after work and see

You will want to put a check valve on the line. If power goes out or you turn the pump off for any period of time water will back up into the pump causing a short at the very least and possibly even a flood if power is out for a longish time. They cost very little.

Performance of any bubble wand thing will be dependent on the power of your air pump and the depth of your tank. They also sometime require a break-in period for optimal performance.

Have two of the flexible bubble wands. I love mine. While the bubbles aren't as fine as the standard type you can bend around the area your HOB filter picks up from which was my reason for purchase. They did take 24+ hours to settle in properly. And I'd check your diaphragms on the air pump. If they are torn you will still get air but it won't pressurize enough to flow these bubble wands.

Lonestarbandit said:
Have two of the flexible bubble wands. I love mine. While the bubbles aren't as fine as the standard type you can bend around the area your HOB filter picks up from which was my reason for purchase. They did take 24+ hours to settle in properly. And I'd check your diaphragms on the air pump. If they are torn you will still get air but it won't pressurize enough to flow these bubble wands.

Well I see it up late last night

Lonestarbandit said:

Well I set it up late last night so ill check it again tonight and see if its the 24hr period thing.. if not, ill put a check valve in there.

I might just need a bigger pump, its only a Whisper 60 but its the only thing that the pump is being used for

DanS180 said:
I might just need a bigger pump, its only a Whisper 60 but its the only thing that the pump is being used for

Impossible. Something is wrong. I am running 3 tanks off a whisper 60. 2 flexible wands, 2 reg wands and a air stone and I have the power valves turned down. And these aren't small shallow tanks. 55,46 and 25 tall.

img_2005933_0_b58a413cdc4c7e315110fe6d0113e65b.jpg

Lonestarbandit said:
Impossible. Something is wrong. I am running 3 tanks off a whisper 60. 2 flexible wands, 2 reg wands and a air stone and I have the power valves turned down. And these aren't small shallow tanks. 55,46 and 25 tall.

Oh wow lol, does it matter that its a 180G tank?? It might just need to settle in, I dunno, if it doesn't work then ill c about returning it

DanS180 said:
Oh wow lol, does it matter that its a 180G tank?? It might just need to settle in, I dunno, if it doesn't work then ill c about returning it

Yes water pressure IE depth/size of tank does matter to a point. But I can easily and had to turn down to push what approx 125 gal of tanks? Maybe test the setup with an airstone? If water pressure/weak pump is the issue you should get no airflow at all with the stone, if you do, well obvious where the problem then lies.

Lonestarbandit said:
Yes water pressure IE depth/size of tank does matter to a point. But I can easily and had to turn down to push what approx 125 gal of tanks? Maybe test the setup with an airstone? If water pressure/weak pump is the issue you should get no airflow at all with the stone, if you do, well obvious where the problem then lies.

Ok I do have have an air stone so maybe ill hook that up and see what happens, I'm hoping to go home today and a lot of bubbles tho :)

Well it's been 2 days and still no bubbles :/ I haven't tried hooking up the air stone yet to c if that works, I guess if that doesn't work then I'll need a new pump??

DanS180 said:
Well it's been 2 days and still no bubbles :/ I haven't tried hooking up the air stone yet to c if that works, I guess if that doesn't work then I'll need a new pump??

Most likely. These whispers have nasty habit of tearing their diaphragms very cheaply made. Air still comes out but not under enough pressure for a larger IE deeper water pressure tank. If the airstone doesn't work there's your answer. Get new pumps off amazon.com don't pay retail.

Lonestarbandit said:
Most likely. These whispers have nasty habit of tearing their diaphragms very cheaply made. Air still comes out but not under enough pressure for a larger IE deeper water pressure tank. If the airstone doesn't work there's your answer. Get new pumps off amazon.com don't pay retail.

Oh I'll def look into amazon lol retail prices r ridiculous!! Lol

Think I gave 15.00 shipped for my whisper 60. The cheap box pet store wanted 33.00 pre tax. That's not just mark-up that's insulting!

Lonestarbandit said:
Think I gave 17.00 shipped for my whisper 60. The cheap box pet store wanted 33.00 pre tax.

Wow haha, yeah I know the feeling, I got a master test kit off amazon for 1/3 of the price my LFS wanted!

Back
Top Bottom