[Build Log] Bouncing back from a total tank loss - Planted High Tech Discus Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All those specs on the glass? SNAILS. ugh. Hoping to devise a scraper with a net under it. Could be an easy way to control population.

IMG_20170302_004710.jpg

As far as I recall, anubias doesn't feed from the substrate: its roots are anchors, only. I think it draws its nutrients solely from the water column.
Weird. Yeah, the new growth is curling up for some reason.

I just dug up a lot of substrate - sorry for horrible picture)
IMG_20170301_222421.jpg

75% water change. Pump lost prime. Upon upstart it Proceeded to spew crap everywhere inside the tank. All other fish seem fine. Water is cloudy white. Not sure why.

This was supposed to be a stress reliever. To be beautiful, life I can watch everyday. I should have known with the snails last night something was wrong.

Maybe I shouldn't get discus.

That blows man, although I wouldn't blame yoyrself, you did all the right things. I wonder if there were pesticides or something on the wood?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was super paranoid. It had a funny smell to it, almost perfumey and manure at the same time. I boiled it a LOT, and soaked it for weeks... I can't believe it. Made my entire tank milky. Does some wood do that anyway?

Tank is still a bit cloudy. this is about an hour after last touching it.

SuMkSJj.jpg

Silver lining - Threaded the mystery moss to the driftwood. Pearling like mad. Re-arranged driftwood to fill out tank a bit more, as Piece of s#*! fish murdering Java Wood is gone. I like that the pieces on the right all go "up" the same way. Looks like it could have occurred in nature that way.

Last edited:
I think the tank is going through a mini cycle. no ammonia or nitrites... but the algae has gone NUTS. Toning down the lighting (main lights now only 5 hours, weaker lights still at 8. CO2 remaining same. (around 22ppm)

Usually algae blooms are triggered by tiny traces of ammonia, correct?

Also, Snails are SUPER active still. Probably because of the FEAST they're having. Clown Loaches look well fed and can't keep up.

It's been a while since my last update. I've reduced the lighting to 6 hours a day. I think when I removed 50+% of my plants I threw the entire tank out of wack. Apparently my Myster moss is an incredible grower so I remove a clump every week (floating). The BBA is growing fast now so something isn't balanced. I've started spot treating with excel.

Also, I bought an on-line co2 diffuser but it still injects bubbles everywhere. Wasted 40 bucks. 1490562677319.jpg
Forgive the mess... Dog bed is in Front of tank stand. Fur gets everywhere.
1490562698013.jpg

74Q8lKw.jpg

(I set my phone to manual mode. Its a fair bit dimmer in person.

anddd a video. because why not

This may be a silly question?? Is there a use for the moonlights or is it for the pretties?
I LOOOVE the look of it! Very pretty.
Ive enjoyed reading up about your tank. Thank you for sharing and hope your finger is going well.

This may be a silly question?? Is there a use for the moonlights or is it for the pretties?
I LOOOVE the look of it! Very pretty.
Ive enjoyed reading up about your tank. Thank you for sharing and hope your finger is going well.

Strictly for asthetics. My lights turn off around 10:30pm and I still like to enjoy the tank after that. (and also want the lights on earlier in the day so my daughter can enjoy the tank when she gets home from daycare)

The moonlights really make some of the fish pop, and lets me look at them after the main lights have gone out.

Strictly for asthetics. My lights turn off around 10:30pm and I still like to enjoy the tank after that. (and also want the lights on earlier in the day so my daughter can enjoy the tank when she gets home from daycare)

The moonlights really make some of the fish pop, and lets me look at them after the main lights have gone out.

Thanks for the quick reply :)
I'm getting a little 30liter tank soon, wonder if i could do the moonlight thing some how... i really like yours!!
My tank has the inbuilt hood with light etc though... hmm.

Thanks for the quick reply :)
I'm getting a little 30liter tank soon, wonder if i could do the moonlight thing some how... i really like yours!!
My tank has the inbuilt hood with light etc though... hmm.
Not sure if you're handy with a soldering iron, but wish.com or geek.com (one of those chinese shopping sites) has arduinos for 3 bucks and strips of "addressable" LED's for under 10bucks. All you need then is an old network cable for wiring, an old usb charger and a way to mount/stick the strip on the underside of your light/canopy and you're set. If you were local to me I would whip you up one. I can send you the code for the Arduino if you decide to DIY one.

Not sure if you're handy with a soldering iron, but wish.com or geek.com (one of those chinese shopping sites) has arduinos for 3 bucks and strips of "addressable" LED's for under 10bucks. All you need then is an old network cable for wiring, an old usb charger and a way to mount/stick the strip on the underside of your light/canopy and you're set. If you were local to me I would whip you up one. I can send you the code for the Arduino if you decide to DIY one.

That sounds easy enough but i wouldn't be confident, thank you for the info though! :D Maybe the boyfriend will put something together for me once i get my tank and its all set up. See how we go!

I'm definitely keen on learning more, i am very new to this aquarium stuff!

Ok! Sorry for the super late update: Lets get this out of the way, because its the best news ever:

I DON"T HAVE CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long story short: first pathology set everyone down the wrong path. It was a Myoepithilioid. Whats that? a tumor that in 94% of cases, NEVER becomes malignant when left completely untreated.

Mine was removed. They're 85% sure it'll never come back again.

That means I've got a 15% chance of it coming back, just to be removed again.
If it does come back, or is camping out somewhere small unnoticed, then in essence, I have a less than 1% chance of EVER contracting malignant cancer. I like those odds. My life is back in order. We've even planning on having another kid! (super secret as none of my friends are on here... We're 6 weeks pregnant. :-D :-D)

I was in such a dark place for 3 months. It was absolute hell. I kept up a strong face for my wife and my parents, but the day they told me I was in the clear... was honestly better than the day My daughter was born. Why? because I realized - I'll be around to see her grow up! Ok, I have to change the subject before these onions get to me.

THe fishtank is looking better than ever. Via some Siamese Algae eaters, CO2 injection and semi-regular water changes, the BBA is almost non existant. I get a build up of easy to scrape green algae over about a 3 week span, but some regular glass scraping keeps it in check. The trumpet snails are under "more" control... the clown loaches keep the baby population in check, and the larger (more useful) MTS's live on in near untolerable numbers. During the day they hide, at night they clean the tank.

The Grass has grown like a WEED and spread a lot. My new plants (aside from the grass, I can never grow carpet plants!) are doing well. My anubis is constantly pearling now. its like an air stone!

I had bought 3 clown loaches from petsmart, the hell of all fish stores, and sure enough one had some sort of malady and would not gain weight. It passed, but the other two are amazingly plump and cute and growing really well.

Another exciting change is that I FINALLY got optics for my DIY aquarium light. I had NO idea how fast my 5+ year old thermal epoxy would set - So when "trying" the 30 degree vs 60 degree optics, the 30 degree became permenanty attached. Turns out it was pretty well 2 minute set epoxy.

The rest of them are 60 degree, I liked the look of the 40 degree but the spread wasn't enough to cover the tank. (the 60 degree is debatable too) My wife likes it with the optics as it doesn't blind her when the water level drops below the top bezel while watching tv.

I LOVE the way it looks. I hope some plants don't melt away from the increased/decreased light. (Depending where they are.)

Next step is the aquarium hood. I still have all the lumber sitting in the garage, but with baby#2 on its way, I realized I had to free up the 2nd bedroom that my wife currently uses as her computer/library/reading area... so I made a desk in the basement for the both of us. Its 14 feet wide!

Pictures of both!:

fishtank (water is low, sorry)
J6PkyJQ.jpg

New Desk: (I'm a super nerd I.T. guy, and a PC gamer, and its not finished so the place is a mess, don't judge!)
ayPRfcs.jpg

Still have potlights to go in, finish the ikea cabinets, more shelves. I'm starting a mini recording setup in front of my computer - I was invited to Amazon Vine and have cleared a few thousand dollars worth of "free" stuff and now companies in china are asking me to review their stuff, so I think i might make a youtube channel!

Anyway, thats it for now. Water parameters are great and stable, I may do the discus thing pretty soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Been following along for a while. Excellent news. Very inspiring words. Tank looks great.

What is your dosing regimen now in conjunction with co2? How often do you water change and how much?

Back
Top Bottom