building a bog in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quadsquatter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i have a tank is 2ft long x 1ft wife x 6" high, same tank in the picture. my issue is im not sure how to build my land and water parts. This tank will be all carnivores as well. Using the same soil mix as below, 50/50 peat sphag to sand. I'm not copying this design but my idea is to look similar so not a high water area.

bog 2.jpg

I have seen a number of videos from Tanner at Serpa Design

Here is one where you can get a good idea of how to build a section which could do something similar but maybe have sides and build the bog inside of the section.

There are other videos which might help as well

now - looking for the Frog design he built

Unfortunately I've watched all his videos already and it's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to copy the land style of the tank above which is my challenge. The question is how was that done? This water is low as is the land where the water is. I can tell you no egg crate was used not do I wish to use it either. Since this is a bog there really isn't a drainage layer needed.

Sorry - looked a bit more closely and see a bit of clear water there.

You would have to be circulating water / Aerobic (It seems to me) in order for it to be fresh and not cause a mud stank / rotting substrate due to an Anaerobic condition.

You would need a barrier to make a water area and something to move the water, a pump. The moss and such would grow over the sides and make it appear natural.

Sent you the link for that tank.

It seems the water used is RO substrate is 50/50 sand and peat, and the water goes stagnant if not sucked up with a baster and replaced with fresh.

This tank is quite stunning - bog plants really do well with rainwater. Been watching Rachel O'Leary aka Msjinkzd.

Back
Top Bottom