Bumblebee Goby: Brackish or Freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of water is best for bumblebee gobies?

• Total voters

rhymeswithbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a bumblebee goby at my local fish store. They told me it was a freshwater fish. I put him in my freshwater tank and he seems to be doing fine. However, I was told on another website that bumblebee gobies are brackish water fish. I looked in a couple places and found differing information on the subject. I was wondering if there is anyone here who knows which type of water is best. Thanks.

they are definitly brackish. Their lifespan is shortened in freshwater (i think).

I started a brackish tank just for bb gobies. I had bb gobies a few years ago in FW community tank and they slowly died. One reason is they were out competed for food—they are SLOW eaters. The other reason was the water.
My current brackish tank has thriving bb gobies and Celebes rainbows.

Simply put, you can't keep them successfully in freshwater. They are brackishwater fish.

I have decided to return my goby or set up a brackish water tank. I'm still interested in people's opinions, though.

It's like putting a snowman on the beach- he will do fine for a while, but will melt faster than if he was in Alaska

Definitely brackish. Another example: I've seen goldfish (as feeders) swimming in saltwater tanks for awhile... Just a matter of time before they croak (and I'm not only referring to them being eaten).

I took my goby back today and got a store credit. I didn't have enough time to set up a brackish tank. I am surprised that almost everyone agrees. The websites I looked at were split evenly or said both were acceptable.

As far as I know Bumblebee Gobies are brackish fish. However there is a twist...(in what I have learnt).

The most commonly seen Bumblebee Goby Brachygobius doriae is a fully brackish fish that needs an SG of around 1.005 to survive and thrive.

However Hypogymnogobius xanthozona is a less commonly seen BBG that can live in FW or BW.

Telling the difference between the two is not easy. I have heard it said (and disclaimed) that B. doriae has black bands that do not join on the belly giving a gold line along the belly whereas H. xanthozona has full black stripes.

As a cautious approach, unless the lfs gives you the latin name, I'd always assume brackish.

As I said, unless you can be absolutely sure and the lfs gives you the latin name, then I would advise putting them in brackish.

The reason a number of people say they can go in either is because Baensch Aquarium Atlas has not been updated. Basically the fish spawn upstream in freshwater and then move down to brackish. Because they captured the species in FW and BW it is often (wrongly) assumed they live in both.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom