Burning aiptasia with butane torch lighter !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tonight, I'll burn aiptasia from a frag of zoa with butane torch lighter. There's no zoa on the part I want to burn...

Anybody did that ? Also, I think about putting some crazy glue over the aiptasia... I tried aiptasia-x, very usefull on big ones, but on thoses that are 2-3mm big... I tried 3 times and not worked, they still look at me saying "hahaha you won't get us, and we'll contaminate all your tank"...

They just frustrate me :banghead:

Hey -

Thought about a Filefish? I was going crazy with aiptasia, until picked one up. Mine is also semi reef safe. Just be careful with what you purchase and keep him/her fed once a day. Avoid xenias - or anything that resembles aiptasia,

Cheers

20g setup... I'll go to the LFS buy 2 peppermint shrimps, and try my burning tricks... I'll give you news :p

Just wish the fumes aren't toxic... I'll wear sun glasses so the zoa don't spit in my eyes...

Just wish the fumes aren't toxic... I'll wear sun glasses so the zoa don't spit in my eyes...[/QUOTE said:
I would do any burning outside just to be safe

According to your advice, I have a great powerfull fan that pushes air outdoor on the kitchen. Thank's for the warning.

We call this a blower fan ? I speak french :huh:

I've used a creme brûlée torch to great effect to remove algae from rocks I want to keep in the tank, I've found that my tang and foxface go nuts for the burned algae where before they wouldn't touch it.

20g setup... I'll go to the LFS buy 2 peppermint shrimps, and try my burning tricks... I'll give you news :p Just wish the fumes aren't toxic... I'll wear sun glasses so the zoa don't spit in my eyes...
there was a thread on here awhile back and someone has mentioned that the owner of their LFS had boiled a piece of LR and was hospitalized for 2 months because he did not notice their was a zoa on it... IMO if your going to pull it out to burn it why not just scrape it off

I did it !!!! It worked ! It's hard to see with sunglasses... I just wanted to be sure not being squirted by a zoa.

I had a huge outbreak when we set up the tank. Bought 2 peppermint shrimp and they took care of it in a couple days. Now, when we get one in the tank, the peppermints take care of it quickly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What I've done, is buy 3 blue leg hermits, and a peppermint for my 20g. I took my zoa frag out of water, burned aiptasia with butane torch. But now I have new problem...

I found why my zoas were "bleaching", it's not because of lack of light acclimatation, but I found a ****ing white tentacle coming out and burning a part of the frag... Digitate hydroids... :banghead:

My frag had aiptasia + digitates hydroids on it. I just trashed it, don't want to keep hydroids.

25$ zoa frag, too much contamination on it, I trashed it :nono:
20$ birdsnest almost totally bleached, didn't know about light acclim :facepalm:
15$ frogspawn, that's the only one that look thriving :ermm:

A soldering iron works fine and there's less chance of aerosolizing any toxic materials. I find Joes Juice works better than most solutions.

A soldering iron works fine and there's less chance of aerosolizing any toxic materials. I find Joes Juice works better than most solutions.

Soldering iron is really great idea wich I didn't thought !!!

How can you remove a partial zoa colony from a frag rock ?

Scrape or cut them them off get as close to the rock as you can then glue them to another rock. Google Fraging Zoa's

I bought another zoa frag to replace this one, I like the zoa behavious (I mean open at day, close at night) and the color. They fluorescent while moonlight.

I just saw after market that the frag is a mold shell covered by zoas -.-

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know we can remove them from rock.

Back
Top Bottom