Burrowing Fish and/or Inverts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marshy92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I want a few fish that will burrow in the sand and stur it up. OR Inverts but preferably fish. I was thinking Horseface Loaches?

But is there any others that will burrow in the sand or dig through it thoroughly to find food?

cichlids like to dig, but i don't know if they would be compatible with your other fish. like river mentioned corydoras love sand substrate.

Cory cats are awesome for the bottom. Always busy cleaning up scraps of food. But they do not dig or burrow into the sand. Snails would be your best bet for this.

So Horseface Loaches, Cory and Snails, any specific snail? Or will they all dig through the sand and eat the scraps?

The only snail that I know of that actually borrows down in the substrate to forage and aerate the substrate are Malaysian Trumpet snails. Other snails like Mystery and Ramshorns will forage on the top of the substrate but never saw done borrow down and disappear into the substrate like the MTS's do. Also the MTS's stay in the substrate during the day and usually only come out at night.

Weather / Dojo loaches burrow, but do better a cooler temps, they also get biggish. My Weather loaches love to dissapear into the substrate, sometimes all you see is a big head poking out or a few bits of tail. Kuhli Loaches also burrow, but as with most you really need sand for borrowers.

I have about 4-5inches of sand in my tank, and loads of plastic plants and rocks and big ornaments as i use to keep cichlids in there but i've rehomed them and turned it into a comunity tank, I need a nice comunity fish/invert to give the sand a real stur up. and Ive never seen or heard of the malaysian trumpet snail in any of my LFS and one is a specailist fish store!

That is some deep sand. Don't know if even the MTS's will go that deep!?! Call and ask them if they have any or can get some. They could have some but you don't see them much during the day.

Petsmart usually always has them... Just go to a tak with a lot of plecos and Cory's and make sure there are no loaches and just stare at the algae tablet. There should be some on it.

Back
Top Bottom