Buying a 55 gallon tank, Marineland vs Top Fin Quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CelticEB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I'm new to the hobby and have decided to purchase a 55 gallon tank. I have a limited budget, and am seriously concerned with the actual build quality of the tank I purchase. I would love to buy a SeaClear or better, but it's beyond my budget. I see the Marineland 55 gal Bio Wheel set, and the Top Fin 55 gal set. I don't care as much about the quality of the accessories with either of these, I'm concerned about the actual quality and structure of the tanks. I want something that is gonna last. I'm a little hesitant because I see some negative things written about the top fin tanks.

My question is, is the Marineland Tank worth the extra money in regards to it's build quality? It is much more expensive, and I don't want to spend the extra money on it if the quality of the tank is no better.

I just bought a 29G Top Fin and while it "works" I would not recommend it. The hood is cheap with no latches so it can fall into the water easily. The LED lights are bare in the top of hood. The hood also has cutouts that cannot be altered so getting a larger HOB (hang on back filter) can't be done. Now I have to get a different hood.
The whole system was on sale for $65. The glass is fine I like the tank itself, no leaks. In the past I always liked Marineland, but I'm on a budget for the time being.
Hope it helps!
Coral

Go Aqueon for your tank .
Petco is having their $ per gallon sale I think and the 55 used to be included..
I am not sure now ,but $55 for a new 55 Aqueon is worth checking out...
You will get better equipment cheaper if you order on line..Go aquaclear on HOB and Aqueon PRO for heater...
Can you tell I like Aqueon??? With 50 plus tanks I might have half a clue?

If I were you I would stay away from the local chains, pet owners/pet smart way over priced. I but all my aquarium tanks/supplies from either let go or OfferUp, you can pick up great used tanks, filters, heaters everything you need much cheaper. I would also stay clear of the big chairs for buying fish, again very over priced and confined to such small tanks.

Good luck !

Go Aqueon for your tank .
Petco is having their $ per gallon sale I think and the 55 used to be included..
I am not sure now ,but $55 for a new 55 Aqueon is worth checking out...
You will get better equipment cheaper if you order on line..Go aquaclear on HOB and Aqueon PRO for heater...
Can you tell I like Aqueon??? With 50 plus tanks I might have half a clue?
Oh yeah, I highly recommend Aqueon products. The heaters are the best. They keep the heat at the temp you set it at. Not like others were it's up and down by 2 degrees all the time. My Betta loves his heater. The tanks are better quality too. but. The filter system I would recommend would be marineland canister. Love my C-360. Enjoy! what ever you decide.

Celtic
I'm likely to either confuse the Top Fin / Marineland issue or make your selection easier. When I bought my Petsmart, Black friday sale, 120 gal. Tank and stand. The tank was clearly encased in Marineland packaging but it had a Top Fin sticker affixed to the aquarium glass. The tank was sealed in the usual black Marineland silicone. The stand was pre-assembled and had factory inspection stickers on it.
When I got the tank home, I noticed the stand had numerous cosmetic blemishes, and a few drill hole mistakes. The bolts were firmly locked in place, and it held the tank securely, so I kept the setup. The tank came with a good warranty, and I have been satisfied with the purchase. It appears to me that Top Fin and Marineland are connected in some way. I suspect that Top Fin might just be a lower quality Marineland outlet.

V227 If its any help all the ornaments Marineland sells are labebeled Top Fin

EM
It's very apparent to me that Top Fin is just an outlet company for Marineland, distributed to Petsmart.

did Petco switch suppliers? the 55 tank I bought from them on 1$Gal 2 years back was Tetra branded.

Can you tell I like Aqueon???
their glass heaters work, their black alloy heaters are good.
that said I had to replace a less the 3YO pro heater under warranty - enclosure cracked lengthwise exposing the brown thermal packing into the tank. heater still was heating, with bubbles coming out from the crack. looked scarry but it didn't short and didn't electrocute fish, so not to bad. :hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom