Buying a new stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a stand for sale that is advertised as the size for a 40 gallon, at 48" x 19" or so, but I have a 75 gallon tank with a 48"x12" footprint. If a tank will fit on a stand, is it safe to assume that the stand will support it, even if the tank is substantially bigger? The top of the new stand is not solid, so if I had a piece of wood cut to the size of the top of the stand, would it help to spread out the weight of a bigger tank? This stand would look so much nicer than the one my tank came with, which is painfully obviously homemade. Then, when moving the tank onto a new stand, how the heck do you do that? Should I just wait until I move? TIY.

I doubt if the 75 gal has a 12" footprint unless it's not a standard rectangular tank. I have one and the footprint is 18" (front to back). It's possible that the advertised dimensions of the stand are in error, as a 40 gallon doesn't have a 19" footprint either, unless it's an odd sized tank. Standard 40's usually have the 12" footprint.

Actually, my 75 gallon is 48" long x 12 " wide x 30" deep. I don't know that the new stand is specifically for a 40 gallon, but that's what the ad says. I ignored the ad until it was reposted with the stand dimensions, which would match my tank. I hope.

Try going to fishandtips.com, they have blueprints for you to make your own stand. I am going to buy a 65 gallon tank (48x13x24), the same as a 55 gallon just 4 inches taller. The prints call for 4x4's as the frame of it, I think doubled up 2x4's will work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom