c02 diffusor idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
diffusor%20idea.JPG

Idea came from those spirally reactor things. Increase amount of time gas is in contact with water.

The basic idea is, using an air pump, recycle the co2 through the water until it's all dissolved. You might ask, "what if the absorption rate of the co2 exceeds the production rate of the yeast?"

Exellent question. A small valve attached to the container holding the air pump would engage at a certain pressure. Regardless of what threashold this is (as long as it's less than like 1psi), the valve will open before the pump sucks water through the input tube. This valve is sort of like a reverse blow-off valve used in cars with forced induction.

I believe this method could also allow for aerobic co2 production, since the absorption rate is realtivly high.

I will likely experiment with this a bit after i get my next paycheck.

So the trap on top is a typical bell-like diffusor with a tube, which leads to an airtight box holding the air pump? I'm interested in your results, but think a venturi loop would be much more effective, and keeps your goal of forcing undissolved CO2 to dissolve. http://www.barrreport.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1

czcz.. is the bottom open on that design or does the water escape the burp tube?
Why havnt I seen this yet.. Youve been keeping secrets!! :biglol:

I just love creative thinking! The more I think about your idea, the more I like it.

Just keep in mind that 1in of water is only .036psi so get a valve rated accordingly. To get 1psi the water will be 28in high!

Personally, I think it will be easier to build one like: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/diy_reactor.htm

How are you going to seal in the air pump and tubes? (This is the only part that worries me)

I like the design on GW page as well, the venturi loop seems to ensure 100% effectiveness! Does this design work in practice?

i like both of those linked ideas, but the point of my plan was to avoid the use of a power head.

How are you going to seal in the air pump and tubes?
With these guys
forq1721.JPG

and aquarium sealant.

Just keep in mind that 1in of water is only .036psi so get a valve rated accordingly.
Thanks, i knew i wasn't right, but thanks for the info!

Well, i experimented a little with a sode bottle diffusion bell and decided that my idea isn't practical for a 10g application. If i ever decided to inject co2 in my 55g, i will continue messing around with my idea.

After running the diffusion bell for a while and not liking the look of it, i remembered i had one of these laying around..

http://thearkpetshop.co.uk/petshop/product_info.php?products_id=3433

I put my co2 feed line into that venturi input and the bubbles that come out are teenie tiny and most of them don't have enough bouyancy to rise to the top! This thing also has an adjustable flow, so i have it running fast enough just to keep the pressure low and the co2 consistant.

Back
Top Bottom