Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very nice! I gotta tell you that if a single black piece of sand were in the white sand it would drive an OCD person like me crazy.

Wow, that went up quickly! Nicely done!
I was going to comment on slope erosion but that does not look like it will be a problem. Certainly plenty of plant material you have there. I've heard of that plant; just never have seen any (here) grow it.

Very nice! I gotta tell you that if a single black piece of sand were in the white sand it would drive an OCD person like me crazy.

Yeah it's killing me too but it's either sort that or miss the Star Wars movie. Was a tough call but SW edged it.

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

Wow, that went up quickly! Nicely done!
I was going to comment on slope erosion but that does not look like it will be a problem. Certainly plenty of plant material you have there. I've heard of that plant; just never have seen any (here) grow it.

Thanks fresh. The plants material is the Monte Carlo I had in the old scape. When I pulled it up it all came up in large sections like a wig. It was so so easy to just lay back down.

I have a lot of drainage crates in Thayer that I am hoping will act as a kind of scaffolding. It actually worked against me when filling up because I hadn't put enough eco complete in the holes so there were obviously sink hole type gaps. When I filled it the whole right section sunk and took the MC with it so once filled I had to take the MC wigs back if and pack more substrate in. There still may be some shifts with catastrophic consequences.

I saw James Findley (UK aquascaper) using glue and a glue gun but I didn't really want to go to those lengths.

On the whole to say I'm not a pro (and after this I don't think I want to be) I'm quite please.

Once the MC settles and I can trim it will look better.

IMG_2409.jpg

Ah cheers Bert. It took me about 4 hours to do. Placing the rocks was hard.

I like the idea of those crates. Are they just seedling drainage trays? Might have to use some in my scape aswell, I planned to use the Eco out of the 30g for an under layer but now it's sprouting BGA I don't want to use it at all lol.

Eco is $70 a bag here and I'm going to need atleast another 2 bags so I'm trying to avoid building big slopes with substrate as much as possible

I like the idea of those crates. Are they just seedling drainage trays? Might have to use some in my scape aswell, I planned to use the Eco out of the 30g for an under layer but now it's sprouting BGA I don't want to use it at all lol.

Eco is $70 a bag here and I'm going to need atleast another 2 bags so I'm trying to avoid building big slopes with substrate as much as possible

It's called drainage cells. Not sure exactly what it's used for. Probably has lots of uses. Dead easy to cut using a tennon or hacksaw.

I used three quarters of a sheet and I got 4 for £15.

I have over a bag of eco left and I spent £33 on another because I wasn't sure if I'd have enough [emoji17]

It's called drainage cells. Not sure exactly what it's used for. Probably has lots of uses. Dead easy to cut using a tennon or hacksaw.

I used three quarters of a sheet and I got 4 for £15.

I have over a bag of eco left and I spent £33 on another because I wasn't sure if I'd have enough [emoji17]

Sounds like u have enough substrate to set up another tank! I'm thinking a 1-2 gallon cube? Do it! I know u want to ;) haha

Sounds like u have enough substrate to set up another tank! I'm thinking a 1-2 gallon cube? Do it! I know u want to ;) haha

I don't have the means for more co2 at the moment. Otherwise I probably would. We have an aquanano 40 in the back room but since I have killed 2 bettas (Gabriel and ripley) trying the no water change method my gf who is an animal loving veganite has lost faith in my abilities. I wouldn't mind but Ripley jumped out [emoji17]

I could do a shrimp tank with it though. I think I need to stop spending money on this one for a while before I consider setting up another ☺

So my plan was to also carpet the sand eventually. What do you think? I was thinking dwarf hair grass as me and that plant have struggled to strike a good relationship in the past and I'd like to try it again.

I was also think of planting some 'bushes' here and there. What plants can you recommend for this?

Cal's Aquaopti 85L

So my plan was to also carpet the sand eventually. What do you think? I was thinking dwarf hair grass as me and that plant have struggled to strike a good relationship in the past and I'd like to try it again.

I was also think of planting some 'bushes' here and there. What plants can you recommend for this?

I'd leave the center path and bush the rock joins and even get some green on a few rocks to give that natural feel. Needle Java is a good bush or Blyxa japonica maybe anubias to get some height at the back?

Even breaking up a a left over rock and scattering a few stray bits to get the erosion look aswell ;)

There is a Micro sized Anubias Nana Petite with tiny leaves, or the Petite.

As for the mat, I think the idea of the mat (but not really on stainless steal mesh) maybe window screen fabric, is awesome. Which should stay intact for a long time.

It seems it would be easy to grow in flooded seedling trays :brows: New part time hobby for the garden, make $$ and have garden fun too?

Love both your ideas there Bert ill definitely be sticking some plants in them crevices and as it happens some of the rock chipped off and did look good but I added more sand and covered them. I have one rock spare so could crush that up.

Autumn the mini Anubias sounds like the perfect plant for this if I can source it would love to try in but planting could be tricky. Are you suggesting the mat is for this?

Also I think blyxa japonica can get too big and might take away from the scale. I need a mini bush. Some S.repens may work but would like to try something different.

Back
Top Bottom