Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess its possible I was 215 last night and just a month ago id be 280. Im still using excel.

Bad news for me I need to up macros and micros again I think.

Million dollar question. Its a closed system so at what point does the continual increasing nutrient needs become out of control.

I guess its possible I was 215 last night and just a month ago id be 280. Im still using excel.

Bad news for me I need to up macros and micros again I think.

Million dollar question. Its a closed system so at what point does the continual increasing nutrient needs become out of control.

You do a trim and chuck the nutrients in the bin? Haha.

What is out of control?

Plant mass/root systems become so big. Tank is full. Plants still want to grow and need nutrients. At some point our tanks cant sustain it forever.

Sure I get it. In a few months I guess I have to rip out part of my wendtii. But for me..it defeats the purpose. I want to grow plants. Eventually our systems can only hold so much plant mass and the required nutrients needed by plant mass. If I just keep my current tank on its schedule ill have issues by xmas. Something has to give lol

Plant mass/root systems become so big. Tank is full. Plants still want to grow and need nutrients. At some point our tanks cant sustain it forever.

Sure I get it. In a few months I guess I have to rip out part of my wendtii. But for me..it defeats the purpose. I want to grow plants. Eventually our systems can only hold so much plant mass and the required nutrients needed by plant mass. If I just keep my current tank on its schedule ill have issues by xmas. Something has to give lol

I get you. Time to start a new tank? Lol. T.Barr once said that new trimmings uptake nutrients at a much faster rate.

I just look at more plant mass as a more robust system. You could add more fish and feed more heavily but then uprooting becomes scary haha.

I have been watching a piece of salvinia that got caught in the Monte Carlo for a will now. It's waxy cuticle still repelling the water for weeks but never proliferated. I looked for it last night but it was gone now I have 4-5 pieces happily multiplying at the surface. How long before I'm going to need to cull? Haha.

New cuttings...I agree. Yes minima has be submerged for a long time. Mine gets stuck in java moss all time.

Lowered my light to about 40-50 PAR and added a protein skimmer. More noticeable growth from rotala wallichii and rotala macandra. Even the elusive Pogostemon erectus has new green needles but still slow. It's been compacted for very long (weeks) that I wouldn't have expected a rapid response. Still need to replace the ludwigia and bacopa that are bent over at the surface for something more appealing. Seems a shame to throw them away though. Also trying a new approach to my fert regimen in the next week or two. Results to follow.

Skimmer in action.

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.JPG

Due a trim now me thinks. Stems will be swapped out but not this weekend. Going away for 4 nights Monday. I can't really trust anyone to dose or feed (after last time) so will have to run very lean. Be my luck that the co2 runs out soon as I leave. [emoji23]

IMG_2620.jpg

Gotcha..You said protein skimmer..surface skimmer im with ya. I know that film bothers you. Did salvania help?

Sorry bud that's what I meant [emoji21][emoji38]

No I pulled it out. One rogue leaf found its way back to the top and now there are 6. Producing very slowly under this Lower PAR though.

Push the lighting more. Your mc and ar will enjoy it ;) get up to 80-100 don't be shy now haha [emoji48]

Back
Top Bottom