Calling all LED pros

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At 26" deep I bet you would still only have medium light at the substrate. Maybe a little less. That's pretty tall. Why would you need two BML XB's on it? OS.

Any idea what angle would be good for a 55 gallon? 48X13X20 I was thinking the 90 degree angle, but I'm not sure.

I use the 75 degree angle on my 55g tank or any tank that is deep. I have 4 BML fixtures that I've been using for over a year.

Jamie if you want to use it on a 26" deep tank with a lid I strongly suggest getting the XB series and getting the 75 degree beam angle. My 220g is 30" deep and they didn't have the XB series when I got mine and can tell you that you really will want the 75 angle so the light penetrates deeper especially when using a lid. My big tanks are open even with several cats in the house but the smaller ones, two of which have BML fixtures. Lids will cut the light down some. Something else to think about is if your thinking about getting the 6300K planted fixture it's going to be dimmer looking to the human light in a deep tank. My BML fixtures are 8300K and in the 30" deep tank I wish I had gone with the 10000K. Now they have the 10K with the extra red spectrum which will give a deep tank a brighter viewing light. I would also see how well the tank preforms with one fixture before buying another. I also suggest getting the dimmer as they make the light so versatile.

Jamie if you want to use it on a 26" deep tank with a lid I strongly suggest getting the XB series and getting the 75 degree beam angle. My 220g is 30" deep and they didn't have the XB series when I got mine and can tell you that you really will want the 75 angle so the light penetrates deeper especially when using a lid. My big tanks are open even with several cats in the house but the smaller ones, two of which have BML fixtures. Lids will cut the light down some. Something else to think about is if your thinking about getting the 6300K planted fixture it's going to be dimmer looking to the human light in a deep tank. My BML fixtures are 8300K and in the 30" deep tank I wish I had gone with the 10000K. Now they have the 10K with the extra red spectrum which will give a deep tank a brighter viewing light. I would also see how well the tank preforms with one fixture before buying another. I also suggest getting the dimmer as they make the light so versatile.

For the 120 I was thinking the 10,000k XB fixture, which is the same price as the dutch, which is for my 40 breeder. On the 120 I have to keep the lids on because the fish like to jump, I lost my female JD from jumping. I keep the glass lids clean though so I hope that would help.

At the 75 degree angle will it get the full width of the tank though?

What is the width of the tank? In my 220 which is 24" wide it would only do maybe half the tank. If I was using only BML fixtures I'd need 2 at least but 3 for high light. I use the BML as a supplement fixture to my big T5HO/Metal halide fixture. If you don't have plants then the 10K at a 90 degree beam angle may be enough. But seriously you may need need two fixtures.

It's actually one long fixture. I have a 72 inch one on the 220. It's one long fixture but is so light it's great.

Yes, if your seeing say 2 or 3 under fixtures needed to obtain a certain Par level then they are saying you need that many of the long fixtures.

What is the width of the tank? In my 220 which is 24" wide it would only do maybe half the tank. If I was using only BML fixtures I'd need 2 at least but 3 for high light. I use the BML as a supplement fixture to my big T5HO/Metal halide fixture. If you don't have plants then the 10K at a 90 degree beam angle may be enough. But seriously you may need need two fixtures.

My 120 is 18 inches wide. I have easy plants, vals, amazon swords, anubias because the lighting on it is already sub-par. I'm not planning on going with high-light plants.

It's actually one long fixture. I have a 72 inch one on the 220. It's one long fixture but is so light it's great.

Yes, if your seeing say 2 or 3 under fixtures needed to obtain a certain Par level then they are saying you need that many of the long fixtures.

Ah ok, so the price I'm seeing is for the two fixtures, not one. Whew!

I'd actually get one fixture and see how it does. Then get a second down the road if needed or until then use both the BML and the fixture your using now. One 60" fixture would be $395 on the XB series. There was no XB series when I got mine so one really might be enough for those types of plants.

Back
Top Bottom