Camallan worms oh my!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akitagirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyon! Its been a while since I've posted but I need some advice and I'm hoping those of you that have dealt with Camallanus worms will be able to reply:

Basically I had a pretty bad fight with Ick a while ago and treated it successfully in my 55 gallon, but since then I've decided to upgrade to a 120gallon for my clown loaches and my black ghost knife.

Tank Stats: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrates and I've recently purchased a buttload of java moss and java fern to help with that since the frequent water changes dont seem to make a difference. ph 6.5. Sand substrate for the barbel fish and banjo cats, a large drift wood covered in recently attached mosses/ferns, some river rocks and LOTS of fake plants and caves, 2 filstar rena xp3 canister filters and 1 fluval 300watt heater, a couple bubble wands and UV sterilizer that came with this tank (not sure if the bulb is good or if it's even necessary but it's on right now)

Occupants: (and I realize that this is a bit much even for a 120gallon and I plan to purchase a 200gallon+ for all other occupants and give the 120 to the ghost knife for himself)
9 very healthy clown loaches (ranging from 1inch-4inch)
10 cherry barbs 2 males 8 females
2 banjo catfish (2 inches each)
2 dwarf gouramis
1 blue gourami
1 gold gourami
1 dwarf blue ram
2 baby angelfish
1 snowball inspector pleco
1 chocolate zebra pleco
6 khuli loaches
1 rainbow shark (3inches)
4 goofy cories (2 skunk 2 peppered)
and 1 healthy 6 inch black ghost knife

So about 2 weeks ago I noticed my gold gourami starting to get swollen. I wasnt sure if she was gravid or sick because my male blue keeps trying to make bubble nests and chases her around a lot lol but about 10 days ago I noticed tiny red strings protruding from her anus and after some research discovered it was the "dreaded camallanus worms" :banghead: I then thoroughly inspected all other fish and it appears that almost all the cherry barbs have 1 to 2 worms dangling from their anus as well. If I understand this parasite at all, odds are, everyone in the tank is infected by now, but so far only the 1 gold gourami and cherry barbs have visible symptoms. Everyone else looks fantastic, no bloating, no swollen anus, no lethargy etc.

10 days ago I began treatment with Fenbendazole aka Safe-Gaurd for dogs and I've fed them 2x's a day for the entire 10 days and am beginning to second guess my approach on this. For AM feedings I soak pellets, wafers, and flakes in about 1/10 a pack of the dewormer (which is powder form) with a small amount of tank water. I let it soak for 30mins-1hr then dump entire contents into tank. PM feedings I soak frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp (2 cubes each) refridgerated for 1-2 hours then dump entire contents into tank. The fish definately HATE the taste of the meds, but eat it anyway. So far I have seen very little improvement. The barbs eat, but after eatting return to the corner of the tank where they bunch together and sit there motionless. The gold gourami (the most heavily infested) eats voraciously the medicated food, but swelling remains the same, as do the worms protruding from her.

I'm a very patient person by nature and I have zero problems continuing this for weeks so long as someone here can attest that this method works... I know Levamasole (sp?) hcl is the best approach but I'm hesitant to medicate my black ghost knife and I can't find anything on the internet about whether or not it's safe for them or my clown loaches... I take very cautious approaches to the way I handle illnesses with the fish because of the sensitivy of those 2 groups. Aside from the worms, I'm not having any other issues with the fish and it's a shame to think I might lose all of these fish. I treat them with so much care and diligence, the idea of starting over is devastating to me (I know that sounds rediculous). Does anyone here believe there is a chance for me to save the majority of my babies :confused: Thanks for any help/advice!!!

I hope this doesnt double post but Im not sure where my post went! Fenben will not help. Levamisole is the only med that I know of thats effective against the dreaded cam worm. If you are in the US, I can give you a link for help & where to purchase it because its very difficult to find. Theres another member dealing with this right now as well.

Fenben does help. I've cured my tanks using it. To cure the tank though, you need more than just the internal medication. The meds will make the worm weak to where it drops out of the host, but they are still alive. I found that Jungle Parasite fizz tabs and water changes helped kill off the worm after they drop.

Treat your tank at half strength because of the ghost knife and loaches. I found that soaking blood worms (or any frozen foods) in the powder was very effective for getting everyone to eat.

OK great. I'll pick up the tabs and continue feeding the fenben foods. So far I haven't seen any worms falling out of the fish. Does it normally take a while to see some results using this method?

It took about 3 days before I saw the worms start to change to a brownish/gray color. That was with feeding twice a day.

Do a good gravel vac before using the tabs, then do them at half dose for a longer amount of time, less stress on the fish. After the first round of tabs, do another gravel vac and repeat. This is a nasty worm that's hard to kill, once it's been weakened by the fenben and they drop, the tabs help kill it off.

If you notice your fish in distress because of the tabs, do a water change and lessen the dose.

Back
Top Bottom