Camallanus worms AGAIN :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettylatte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again,
So after this post, I COMPLETELY restarted my tank, I got rid of the fish, all the gravel, all the water, new filter, got rid of the decorations, etc. I also scrubbed the walls of the tank and then dumped boiling water into the tank and cycled the tank again.
So when the tank was cycled, I got new fish and I was extremely relieved to not have to deal with the worms!
Everything was good until 3 months into having the new fish and I noticed that a male guppy had the worms and the other fish soon got them even after I quarantined everything.
So my questions are:
1) How in the world did the worms survive all the things I did to restart the tank??

2) As sort of a last resort, I brought home Panacur (wormer I use for my horses.) Do you think it could work and how should I dose it?

Im guessing the fish had them already and yea the dewormer works just mix it with food

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Could you describe the symptoms? my wild guppies i think might have worms they are skinny.

No I don't have levamisole, I don't think it's allowed in the US. And the symptoms are little red worms sticking out of the fish's butt, that would be the most noticeable symptom.

Panacur works for the worms too though ive used the one meant for dogs effectively on my guppies just dissolve it in tank water and add food tonthe mix then feed it I dont remember how much or for how long but google knows all =)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No I don't have levamisole, I don't think it's allowed in the US. And the symptoms are little red worms sticking out of the fish's butt, that would be the most noticeable symptom.

Feeder guppies are tiny and the tank is on the floor, im not in the habit of laying on the floor looking at fishes butts, but ill give it a try.
Any other symptoms? because im trying to figure out what they have and nobody has helped me yet, despite the fact that i help noobs all the time :banghead:

Feeder guppies are tiny and the tank is on the floor, im not in the habit of laying on the floor looking at fishes butts, but ill give it a try.

Any other symptoms? because im trying to figure out what they have and nobody has helped me yet, despite the fact that i help noobs all the time :banghead:

Haha umm I know this is a fairly fatal parasite, but I really haven't seen any symptoms other than the actual worms. Like no weight loss or anything until the very last stages where you would have already noticed the worms. I'll try to take a pic of the worms for you!

And so I've been giving them Panacur, and the worms are really sticking out(I think that means they are dying.) so how long should I keep up the treatment?

I ordered some levamisole online and it solved my worm issues 100%. I live in Canada and you cannot get it here. I had to order it from the states. If you do get your hands on it make sure you use the correct dosage. I only needed 1.25 grams for 125 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Levamisole

I ordered some levamisole online and it solved my worm issues 100%. I live in Canada and you cannot get it here. I had to order it from the states. If you do get your hands on it make sure you use the correct dosage. I only needed 1.25 grams for 125 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

MAC G - I have a 120 gallon tank that is infested with Camallanus worms. I am from Canada as well, can you please PM me? I am looking everywhere for Lavamisole.

Back
Top Bottom