Came home to a heap of problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went on a short weekend trip to Milwaukee to watch my Cardinals play the Brewers. I was gone from Friday to Sunday night. My wife takes care of the tanks well while I'm gone, but I hadn't gotten a timer for my newest tank and forgot to tell her to turn the lights off before bed. The lights stayed on for the entire weekend and the small amount of algae I allowed to grow for my new ottos blossomed into a tank wide catastrophy lol. When I walked in the door my wife told me "You're planted tank looks gross." Immediately I realized my mistake :p. That was totally crappy, but fixable with some elbow grease so I didn't worry too much.

Then I discovered the major problem. Two days before the trip I added 3 otto cats to the same tank. I did not put them in the QT as I usually do, stupid move. The normally beautiful and lively black and neon tetras were staring blankly covered in white spots...Ich. I have prided myself in not having to deal with this devil for the last 5 years, comparing the disease to malaria or smallpox; something that affected the tanks of 3rd world countries or uneducated peoples. Boy did it kick me in the teeth. I then assumed my 300w fluval heater would be ample to boost the temp to 86 degrees to kill the Ich. My heater pooped out on me...died right when I needed it. I removed the carbon and dosed the tank with Ich meds. The next morning the majority of the tetras lost their battle. I knew this was coming as they looked really bad. The remaining tetras were in such poor shape that I decided to euthanise them rather than let them suffer. I lost a total of 17 black and neons. My survivors are a GBR and 6 out of 7 of my otto cats, they are looking OK still. I have moved them into a QT and slowly raised the temp to 86. I am doing about a 50% water change daily. Hopefully they'll pull through.

I have the original 29 planted sitting empty allowing the Ich to die from lack of food source. I am going to do 50% Water changes for a few days to help rid the tank. Is there anything else I need to do? How long should I wait before reintroducing the other fish to the tank? How will I know the Ich has been killed in the QT tank and the fish are healthy enough to be introduced to other fish? Thanks in advance!

Hi! I dont think anyone has responded because they are a bit confused (as I am). Your 29g came down with ich & you took the fish out? Where are they now? How are you treating the 29g & the tank where the fish are- just heat? If there is no one in the 29g, crank the heat up to 88-89f and leave it be for atleast 2-3wks. This will kill off anything in the empty tank. The infested fish will need to be treated with heat for a minimum of 2wks as a general rule. I would not introduce any new fish until you are positive that the ich is fully gone and I would qt any new fish first.

Your empty tank will need an ammonia source in order to keep it cycled during this time. If your Qt is not cycled, make sure you stay on top of your water changes to prevent any further issues from toxins. Hope this helps!

Thanks! This is very helpful...

I moved the fish to my QT since my heater in the 29 stop working and I was able to heat the QT easily. The fish have been in water at no lower than 86 deg for 4 days now. I haven't had great success in the past with medication as the primary defense once Ich has set in and felt heating the smaller tank would give me a better chance than crossing my fingers in the 29g...

The empty tank has been treated with medication for the time being as I am waiting on a new heater to come in. It should be in by Monday and I'll crank the sucker up!

I was unsure about how long to keep them in the QT but 2 weeks seems to be the answers I am digging up. I'll keep them out of the original tank until I feel its been cooking long enough and keep tabs on the fish for a couple weeks before adding any more fish. The new fish will be QT'd for sure...don't want to do this again :)

How are you keeping your filter viable in the empty tank? I'm more concerned with you losing your cycle than the ich.

Couldn't you have put the heater in the QT into the other tank to treat the fish?

Yeah, add me to the confused list.

Sorry about your loss. That's a tough one.

Thanks! This is very helpful...

I moved the fish to my QT since my heater in the 29 stop working and I was able to heat the QT easily. The fish have been in water at no lower than 86 deg for 4 days now. I haven't had great success in the past with medication as the primary defense once Ich has set in and felt heating the smaller tank would give me a better chance than crossing my fingers in the 29g...

The empty tank has been treated with medication for the time being as I am waiting on a new heater to come in. It should be in by Monday and I'll crank the sucker up!

I was unsure about how long to keep them in the QT but 2 weeks seems to be the answers I am digging up. I'll keep them out of the original tank until I feel its been cooking long enough and keep tabs on the fish for a couple weeks before adding any more fish. The new fish will be QT'd for sure...don't want to do this again :)

Ok! Makes a bit more sense! I was wondering why you were playing musical fish! 2wks is the minimum time frame to look for- if there are still spots, wait atleast a week after the last spot is gone.

If you have pure ammonia, start dosing the 29g (since there are no fish in it). If you dont have any, throw in a mesh bag/piece pantyhose of raw shrimp to supply a source of ammonia to keep your cycle going because your bb need food while its empty. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask! Good luck!!

I've been using fish food to keep the ammonia levels constant and have done a liquid water test before each water change to ensure nothing is getting out of whack

Back
Top Bottom