Can a former saltwater tank be converted into a freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaChi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a friend who may sell my one of his old fish tanks...however I am a freshwater enthusiast and he was using it for salt water for a few weeks (only).

I am not sure why I added "only" in there...maybe in hopes that the less time it spent in salt water the better? :nono:

Anyway my question, if the filter and tank are cleaned very well (not sure what cleaning agent I should use to do this) could I attempt to use it for freshwater purposes?

Thanks,

:fish2:

Why not? I've done it. Answers might vary but I would just give everything a good rinse using only water and you're all set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sure. Like Gilpi said just make sure to clean everything. I'd go a step further and clean it with distilled white vinegar and then rinse it really well with water before letting it air dry.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Since it was used for a short period of time, there should not be any crusty build up to worry about.
What kind of filter came with the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys!

It has been sitting for a while since this guy has used salt water in it. I hope there is not too much build up. He is not including any filter media (as it has been ruined with salt water) so I will have to buy filter pads etc. This is for a Fluval spec V. This is not a big tank.

:fish2:

Another thing to check is for leaks since it was sitting for a long time.
Whenever I got a new or used tank, I fill it in my deck and let it sit there for a couple of days to check for leaks, might also help loosen up any salt build up.

Back
Top Bottom