Can a virus still be in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Everyone,

So, I had a molly, who awhile ago started developing a pinkish-red bump on the top of his head, and his bottom lip looked bigger than normal... The bump gradually grew larger and larger, and a couple days ago he was extremely bloated and his scales were sticking outward. He was still eating and swimming around, though. Then, today he had two extremely weird bubble like things kind of hanging off of the bump, and was even more bloated. I knew he must be so miserable, so I put him down, earlier. :cry:

So here are my questions:

(1. Does anyone know what kind of nasty disease he might've had?
(2. Is it possible there is still a disease/virus in the tank?
(3. Is it safe to add new fish to the tank?

He was the only fish in my tank, due to figuring out water hardness, and a nitrate problem. I had nitrates coming out of the tap, and recently started adding RO water. Then, I delayed getting anymore fish when the bump started forming...

I have a beautifully planted fifty gallon tank that I do take care of. My tank is clean, and as I said before the nitrates were coming out of the tap! I have a picture so you see what I mean.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140519_160028.jpg
    IMG_20140519_160028.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20140519_160038.jpg
    IMG_20140519_160038.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 94
Can anyone answer my questions????? Thanks in advance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dropsy? Sounds like it from the scales being outward

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not worry about something like this......nothing we can do for virus in humans, let alone pet fish. You could try something like this when you get more fish Seachem. ParaGuard
But stopping a fish virus, not much we can do. As far as i know they don't make vaccines for pet fish :lol:
Vitamin D has been shown to reduce viral illness in humans, and as far as i know it helps fish in the same way, especially with Split Fins. It might be worth a shot to try to get some vitamin D into their diet somehow as well..........

Thanks for the info. Interesting about the vitamin D!

:)

Back
Top Bottom