Can anyone help me with my pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd microwave them a bit to soften them up, cool them down and feed..

Hey brookster, just wanted to say great job! You basically covered everything I was going to say :)

ANYWAY, onto something else. What you have there is a panaque maccus. Clown pleco is the common name. Wood, out of everything in the tank, is the most important thing for this species in particular. Not having it will cause severe effects especially for those in the panaque genus.

That big red blob is one of them. That is a rather large bacterial infection... im surprised its not dead yet o.o Quarantine him and treat him with melafix. Do frequent water changes afterward.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey brookster, just wanted to say great job! You basically covered everything I was going to say :) ANYWAY, onto something else. What you have there is a panaque maccus. Clown pleco is the common name. Wood, out of everything in the tank, is the most important thing for this species in particular. Not having it will cause severe effects especially for those in the panaque genus. That big red blob is one of them. That is a rather large bacterial infection... im surprised its not dead yet o.o Quarantine him and treat him with melafix. Do frequent water changes afterward. Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Thanks surfer!! I was hoping you would jump in sooner than later! I did the best I could with what little experience I have with my 4 month old troop on bn/albino bn juvies. Glad you could provide more specific insight into the matter, best of luck OP:)

Thank you both so much. You guys have been really helpful. And Surfer thank you so much for figuring out the type of pleco it was. I was really curious. He is now in a hospital tank with melafix and I found driftwood at our local pet store!! It says I should put the melafix in daily for 7 days. We are putting in 2.5 ml since it says 5 ml per 10 gallon. Should I do water changes daily? If so how much? He's in a 5.5 gallon tank.

Attachments

• 20140111_174125.jpg
    20140111_174125.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20140111_181705.jpg
    20140111_181705.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 75
Yes water change everyday, redose for the amount you took out with the water each time so concentration stays the same. He looks great by the way, heres a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 1389511427376.jpg
    1389511427376.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 71
Well I've had him in his hospital tank for a little over a week now treating him with Melafix. He's still doing great in there although the bump hasn't changed much. It did seem this morning when he was sucking on the glass that the bump could squish more than before. Like it's getting softer or maybe going down a bit. Should I continue with the Melafix or try something different?

Keep going with the melafix, it wont go away completely but itll make it much more comfortable for him of you continue the treatment. Is he on the driftwood?

Most pet stores hide the driftwood in the reptile section. I found mine there (after asking an employee who told me the ugly little pieces covered in pond snails were all they had!). My BN pleco was all over it for several days and now only visits occasionally. There was no driftwood in with him at the store although the care card on the tank stated that it was required. I hope your guy makes a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom