Can anyone identify this algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It wasn't glut. I had Excel that I was using previously when I did not have pres. co2. Unfortunately I do not have a drop checker right now, but I doubt it could have been the co2. I dosed excel for about 2 weeks after I had set up the pres. co2 with the inverts in the tank. There was never any problem. I read somewhere that excel also kills the BB in the tank leading to an NH3 spike and vis-a-vis, a mini-cycle. If that's the case[though I don't understand how that could happen now] then I guess my remaining livestock are done for.

P.S. One of the fish, a female threadfin, also died today morning. :(

It wasn't glut. I had Excel that I was using previously when I did not have pres. co2. Unfortunately I do not have a drop checker right now, but I doubt it could have been the co2. I dosed excel for about 2 weeks after I had set up the pres. co2 with the inverts in the tank. There was never any problem. I read somewhere that excel also kills the BB in the tank leading to an NH3 spike and vis-a-vis, a mini-cycle. If that's the case[though I don't understand how that could happen now] then I guess my remaining livestock are done for.

P.S. One of the fish, a female threadfin, also died today morning. :(

If it killed BB then I am in trouble because I dose 10x the recommended amount. It doesn't kill BB so that's not a worry.

Another update: My fish are swimming ok now for the past 20 mins or so. They are scrounging for food all over the tank. I think somehow 3 yellows[18-20 died] and 1 amano survived[of 4]. The amano seems to be its usual self. However, my yellows are moving very sluggishly, and all have lost their vibrant colour. They look a very pale yellow. I did not make any changes today apart from 80% wc today morning 7 hrs ago. Any ideas whats going on?

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 53
Have you been doing water changes often lately? What's your water source? Sometimes the municipal tap can be a culprit if things get out of wack at the water treatment facility. Last month here in Phoenix, they accidentally released a copious amount of chlorine or something in the water supply. They had to bleed the system. Luckily I saw the announcement from a hobbyist in the local aquatic plant forum. You never know, this can be a silent killer sometimes.

But in all honesty, you should have a drop checker at the very least in running pressurized CO2. CO2 mishaps happen all the time.

Edit:
Although rare (i think), example of water quality issues with tap...
http://www.azaquaticplants.com/community/showthread.php?t=18915

Last edited:
I always use a double dose of prime on stored water towards that end. So Im dubious about the chlorine/chloramine. Hopefully the spike will over in a few days and my crits don't die anymore. One of the shrimps[pic above] was carrying eggs. I believe she lost all of them due to the stress.

Back
Top Bottom