Can drinking ammonia be used for cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colloquial penguin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

Starting a new tank which i will be most likely cycling with some kind of household ammonia, but the only ammonia i can find in the house is the 30% stuff for use in cocktails and cooking recipes.

Would this kind of ammonia be okay for cycling a tank?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't recommend drinking ammonia.

You want to find pure ammonia, with no detergents added. an EASIER way is to use raw table shrimp, and let them break down and decompose in the tank. They will produce ammonia that way.

I am guessing you are referring to Aromatic Spirits of Ammonia. It has ammonia, usually alcohol, and some smelly oils. That would not work for cycling. you need the pure ammonia like herp_mommy said. :)

haha 30% ammonia would kill you if you drank that

if you going to look for ammonia, ace hardware or true value is good place to start, most other places (wal-mart, home depot, lowes) only sell ammonia that has other things it in like perfumes or surfacants, which you do not want. if you are unsure shake the bottle if bubbles form at the top then its not good to use (excluding the air bubbles that will go away 1-2 secs are shaking) if you are still unsure, just call the manufacture. and when people say pure ammonia they dont really mean pure ammonia (its a gas and impossible to get without a license) they just mean its only ammonia and water typically 5-10% concentration.

Back
Top Bottom