Can fish be scared to death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Incisions072185

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Dalmatian Molly that I've have for a long time mysteriously died tonight. There were no signs of him being sick and he always ate, in fact about 2 hours ago he was swimming and acting normal. He always came to the front of the tank when I'd walk up to it, Deff one of my favorite fish. I don't know why he died randomly but one of my cats sits next to the tank and watches the fish swim around but today I saw her putting her paw to the glass and all the fish would scatter. Could he have been frightened so much he died?

I'm not sure if the fish was actually scared to death but stress on any fish can result in death. Are there any aggressive species in your tank that have bothered him? Could also have just been his time. Sorry to hear that you had a fish die. It always sucks!

I had 13 fish total, and 12 of them have been together for a few months and have all been fine with no signs of aggression. I added a Pleco just the other day but I doubt it would be the problem. I just found it extremely odd Bc he was healthy and very active the entire time I had him.

Back
Top Bottom