Can guppies live in brackish water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcnomnom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have a 10 gallon tank with two mollies and two guppies and recently,one of my mollies seeems to have swim bladder disease and i want to add slat to my tank (i currently do not add salt to the tank) to help my mollies live longer and better. My question is since i do have guppies is it ok to add salt to the water? Will it effect them in a positive or negitive manor? And where do i get salt like from the pet store or can i use the salt i use in baking at home? (i know its probably a dumb question but i really dont know!! I am a beginner btw) thanks!

Okay for your guppies they are brackish fish ans it is better to add salt to your tank ..... I want to say its about 1 tho spoon for every 5 or ten gallons. And as for the salt no do not use the salt that is in your kitchen. You can get salt at just about any pet store to include petco or pet smart. It shouldnt hut anything for you to do this but I would also suggest consulting you lfs and get his or her advice.

Adding FW treatment salt to a tank will not make it brackish. Brackish tanks have marine salt in them. OP I suggest you do some research on brackish tanks.

The questions is why your fish has the problem. What are the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank?

Edit: I just saw your other thread.
Your fish are suffering from nitrIte poisoning. Many large water changes are needed to bring the level down ASAP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom