Can I divide a 20g tank to quarantine 2 tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any recommendations on what to use? Concerned about water flow on both sides of the divider - if I get that far with this. Got a Skilter 250 hang on fractionator (I love that word)/skimmer. Hoping for something like a divider that would allow the water flow upon return and of course, the suction into the skimmer from both sides. Maybe hang on one side and use a small powerhead to move dbris from the other side into the suction path.

Got a very territorial yellow tang in the big tank and want another, possibly a bristle tooth. Have to remove the rock to get him. The plan is to remove him into QT, re-arrange the rocks, & get another tang. Of course since I'm QTing the new one, I've got a dilemma. The idea is to get the new one in the big tank first (after QT), then add the old yellow a week or so later.

Any ideas?

just point the powerhead at the divider and make sure the divider has enough slits to allow flow to get through it, but not the fish. In general this shouldnt be a problem seeing as many fish stores are set up with dividers.

I thought the whole point of a QT was to separate fish so that any diseases don't propagate to others. If you have two fish in a QT, separated or not, and one had ich for example, would not water flowing between the two halves cause an infection to the otherwise healthy co-inhabitant?

If you put them both in at the same time then it wouldn't affect the QT process. If one was put in later then you would have to start the QT time over again for both.

If you have two fish in a QT, separated or not, and one had ich for example, would not water flowing between the two halves cause an infection to the otherwise healthy co-inhabitant

But how do you know the other does not have ich? Spots aren't always present. If one had it, IMO all fish should be treated, i.e. all fish from same tank or coming from same lfs.

But how do you know the other does not have ich? Spots aren't always present. If one had it, IMO all fish should be treated, i.e. all fish from same tank or coming from same lfs.

My point was, that the definition of quarantine:

Enforced isolation or restriction of free movement imposed to prevent the spread of contagious disease. A condition of enforced isolation.

indicates to me that fish should be alone (unless of course they both came from the same place). IF you had two fish from different tanks that you wanted to quarantine, it would make better sense (to me) to have them completely isolated from each other. Then if IF one was infected and one wasn't, the act of quarantining them separately would ensure the health of the one fish, while allowing you to treat the infected one.

This of course means either two tanks, or buying one fish at a time, which is requires serious amounts of self control and patience ... something which I don't always have ... :?

The whole idea is to get the current, territorial, yellow tang out and allow another tang to set up with the new rock arrangement first - since the yellow is usually the last tang in. I hear ya, but I've got this situation where in order to do that and QT the new tang I've gotta have'm both in there.

The again, maybe QT the new tang, let the old one stay in the main and when the new one is ready to come out of QT, take the yellow out, put him in a bucket and acclimate to the QT tank over a couple of hours in a bucket, and while that's going on move the rocks around let it settle for an hour and put the new one in. Then I'd put the yellow in QT by himself - in that order.

I found that divider, but I don't like it because the holes are too small. Looks like it's for breeding and underground filter setups.

Back
Top Bottom