Can I Do This???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
My zooanthids have some string and hair algae on them and is bothering them so they will not come out at all. Is t ok to us a soft toothbrush to lightly brush of the algae?? I did this with my star polyps that had a lot of algae on them and now they look better than ever. Will it hurt the polips at all or do any damage to the zoos?? PLease help

TIA,
Josh

I would first try blowing the algae off with a turkey baster or syphoning it off. But more importantly, figure out why you have all this algae. Test your tank for nitrates and phosphates? Do you use tapwater for water changes and top offs? Has the tank been running for less than 6 months?

Phosphates are at 0 nitrates are at 0, us RO water, tank has been up for over a year. I have tried use a turkey baster, it doesn't get the algae off, it blows other stuff off but not algae

Phosphate and nitrate both at 0? Something has to be causing the algea growth. If your tests are accurate there is some kind of nutrient getting in your water to cause it. You have a protein skimmer going? That will help, but those 0's and nusiance algea usually aren't seen together.

Back
Top Bottom