Can I get a peacock spiny eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XimeD

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, my 20gal tank is finally cycled, water parameters:

ammonia <0.25ppm (i feel it migh be a little bit above 0pmm)
nitrites 0pmm
nitrates ~5ppm
pH = 7.4
Temp 77-78F
kH - 100ppm (6 drops on the API test kit)
gH - 200 - 400ppm (18 drops on the API test kit)

My tank is currently stocked with:
2 Red Tail Tinfoil barbs (2in and around 3in)
2 giant danios (1.5in and 2in)
1 common pleco (2in)

Yes, I know all these fish will get too big for my tank, I will be getting a 75gal at some point (maybe in a few months)

So, I saw some peacock spiny eels at the pet store last night (around 5in I think) and I was wondering if I could keep one of these in my 20gal. The plan is to move all these fish to my 75gal when I get it and keep some cardinal tetras, a couple ADFs and some other community fish in my 20gal.

Suggestions? Advice?

PS: I would appreciate fast replies, I figure those eels will go fast.

Thanks,

They can go in a tank with those fish but it will need a 30g atleast. They are wonderful fish and amazing to watch. I currently own 1 and plan on getting more in my 75g. If you upgrade soon i would say they would be fine in a 20g FOR NOW. So if you plan on upgrading go for it. Make sure you look up and know what a peacock eel is exactly as it is not uncommon for tire track eels to be listed as a peacock eel as the tire track eel gets 3 feet long and need a 300g or more and they need special dimensions.

I am fairly certain they were peacocks, they had the eye spots on their tails. I am planning on upgrading in 3-4months (after the new year/Xmas spending lol) Would that be enough time? One thing I am not sure of is how fast these guys grow.

I would say shoot for it, but i would make sure you upgrade as soon as possible. Hope everyhting goes good for you.

I went for it =)
I'll post some pics soon, hubby named it Kraken.

Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom