Can I get a turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a 75 gallon pond and I was wondering if I could get a turtle. Is there a turtle that will stay in the pond and not escape?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could probably do a red eared slider. Only a couple though, and they might get eaten by raccoons and stuff. I'm no expert but yeah I'm guessing you can.

Will they escape the pond? It's above ground

I'm with nils you could do sliders but I don't know about escaping or not

Okay thank you guys :)

You could do a cheap fence like chicken wire or something around it to make sure.

75 gallons would only be enough for 1 slider - they get pretty big. Plus with a turtle you'd need to worry about having a safe place for it to crawl out and bask. Yes, they will escape, and if there is any way through or under the fence they will find it. . .not exactly smart but they are persistent.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. I doubt the turtle would stay in the area of it's own free will, and trapping it in the area with a cage or fence would just make it an easy meal for a raccoon or some other determined beast. Turtles should have a larger space and better conditions.

You possibly could, just make sure that they can get out of the water in order to bask.

Back
Top Bottom