Can I have any beginner corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I have had a 20 gallon high FOWLR for about 5 months going on 6. I had some 15 watt regular flourescents that came with the starter kit. I recently made a slight upgrade just so I can have the lunar lights and some actinic lighting. But now I'd like to know...are there any corals that I would be able to have with these new lights?
The lights are Deep Blue's SolarMax HE 24" Double strip. They bring one 14w daylight bulb and a 14w actinic bulb and 4 LEDs. Any suggestions?

To be honest you`ll need to upgrade your lighting. You might be able to get away with some mushrooms but it will be pushing it. Some PC lighting will do good in that size tank.

I've read that maybe some polyps would do alright. I dont think I mentioned that the daylight bulb is a t5 bulb. Don't know if that changes anything.

28 watts for a 20 gallon tank will not cut it. At 14 watts a bulb they are surely not HO bulbs.

Just feed them after lights out and your good to go. They are not really anymore trouble to feed than a spot fed fish.

sun corals are no-light corals. the trouble is, sometimes they don't come out in the day. what do you do when you want to show off your tank to a guest, tell them...oh..yeah...those yellow stumps will actually get quite beautiful after you go home...LOL.

I don't mean to be blunt. But here's a suggestion:

Either have a reef tank or a Fish Only tank.

There is no in between. I've seen too many people try this and their tank gets ruined and they get frustrated.

Get a new light. You can get a T5 bulb for 200 bucks that can put out 90 watts of light, which will allow you to have all soft corals and a couple of LPS.
WavePoint High Output T5 Lighting System - 4 x 24W - 24 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

That is one of the better cheaper T5 lights.

If you don't want to spend the money, stick with FOWLR.

A reef tank is an expensive hobby, yet extremely rewarding and enjoyable. You really need to sit down and think about what you want to do.

Best of luck...

Back
Top Bottom