can i put a fish in a 2.5gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'll make this short and sweet........

2.5gallon tank (going to be drilled)
2.5 gallon sump with as much live rock and macro as I can fit in it.

Yes or no, and if yes which one?

I know this is a dumb question and the answer is going to probably be an overwhelming NO, but i figured I would ask.......just incase I missed something.

thanks in advance for responses.......

I will say one fish that will get no bigger than 1 inch eventual adult size. there is these little purple fish that come to mind, but I can't think of the name.

Good Luck! 0X

Serge said:
Damzels perhaps?

8)

If you go with Damsels, go with Green Chromis, or another one of the less aggressive species. I made the mistake of putting 2 Blue Damsels in a 10 gal. when I first started. :oops:

Needless to say, one of the little guys was very unhappy, the bigger (more aggressive) one kept the little one in a corner for about 4 days before I finally said enough is enough. I had to take them back to the fish store. Hope it works out for you though!

I would think you could get away with 1 small fish, but it needs to be something that is not very active. There is not much swimming room in a 2.5G.

A goby of some sort is your best bet.

hmmmmmm so i guess i could get a goby/pistol pair......... sounds like a plan.

now if i could just figure out witch ones would pair up

I just put a yellow clown goby in my nano. It does not really swim much so it would be in a 2.5. Do not get this mixed up with a yellow shrimp goby (yelow watchman goby). I think they would need more space.

ok gotcha......

I think I'm going to go with a little clown goby maybe........ possibly a damsel. more than likely a goby though.......

I just set this tank up on saturday because i didn't have anything better to do.
The owner of the LFS gave me the substrate for the tank.... I think it was 7.5lbs when we weighed it, and he sold me rocks that came out of his old show tank ....... they are awesome!!!!!! the correline on them is great! nice greens and purples, and one rock is covered in what looks like GSP mat..... hopefully that will perc up soon...... i got 4lbs of awesome liverock for $15.99 (I Love my LFS). I went with a Millenium 1000 HOB filter for the tank(90GPH turnover) I figured I needed good flow anyway and since i was going to take the tank to my office i needed a fish because people would ask me why i didn't have a fish. So i went for overkill with the filter. I had to cut the top myself, so I just used plexiglass and a razor... worked like a charm. I have a coralife Mini on it (18w PC) so that's 7.2wpg that only has to penetrate 8". that's about i for the specs of my little tank, but now I have a few more questions.....

1.) If i went with chromis how many could I put in there with that filter? (Same question for gobies)

2.) Do you guy's think a clam would be okay in there?

other than that, this tank is just wating to be filled............ I plan on doing a big water change on it when i move it from my house to the office so i can just transport it and I can let everything I am already going to put in it drip acclimate.

the stocking list is as follows...
pink hammer
2 strands of GSP (a bunch of this stuff)
3 ricordia polyps (neon green)
blue zoas, (a bunch of these guys)
orange zoas (7 or 8 polyps)
eagle eye and Neon green zoas (err 10 polyps all together maybe)
as much candy coral as I can fit (the blue color)
some bright yellow zoas
maybe my clam
whatever fish i decide to put in there
and possible some shrooms if more space needs to be taken.

As you can tell, i already have the coral to fill this little guy up I'm just lying in wait..............

Oh yeah , THANKS FOR THE HELP ON THE FISH EVERYONE!

To add to that last post, To get this thing completely set up I think I'm down $60 all together...... not to bad!

If i went with chromis how many could I put in there with that filter? (Same question for gobies)
I would not suggest any chromis or damsels. These fish like to swim and a 2.5 gal is just not enough room. The clown goby is still your best bet. I would only fo with one and then some type of invert like a shrimp of some sort.
Do you guy's think a clam would be okay in there?
You can give it a try. Most clams can get pretty big so research and get a smaller species.
To get this thing completely set up I think I'm down $60 all together
Awesome. I would bet you will not really see a cycle with either since you are using all established biomedia. Post pics! Have fun...Lando

Back
Top Bottom