Can I put fish in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird-and-Dad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I set up a 5 gallon tank today, and I put in a sand substrate. There is a lot of silt in the sand, and now it is suspended in the tank. Would it be okay to put fish in as it is? Could I get some of those water clarifying tablets?

Also, how many fancy guppies could I put in the tank?

Could I get 1 or 2 ottos? with the guppies?

I put in some seeded material from my other tank.

Thank you!

Unless you transfered an entire filter from another established 5 gallon+ tank, you still need to cycle your tank first. And even if you did transfer enough to instantly cycle the tank, you should still check it by adding some ammonia.

Also, avoid adding anything unneccesary to the tank (like water clarifying tablets) The stuff in your water will settle out in the next few days.

Unfortunately, I can't really test with ammonia, but the other tank is a 23 gal, and I took a good 1/4 of the media, so I think if I start off slowly with like 1 or 2 guppies and build up, I should have sufficient bb to avoid a complete cycle.

Unfortunately, I can't really test with ammonia, but the other tank is a 23 gal, and I took a good 1/4 of the media, so I think if I start off slowly with like 1 or 2 guppies and build up, I should have sufficient bb to avoid a complete cycle.

Also, I would start feeding after 2 days, and then feed every other day for a while.

I would say you can, I suppose. I've had fish in a tank that looked like that after I switched substrates and they didn't seem too bothered. But a 5g is too small for guppies.

I would say you can, I suppose. I've had fish in a tank that looked like that after I switched substrates and they didn't seem too bothered. But a 5g is too small for guppies.

It is? Is there any fish I could put in there other than a betta? I was thinking more than one fish. I had heard that for like 3 guppies 5 gal would be fine.

I recon you should be ok, you should have washed your sand but same thing happened to me and it took about 3 days to fully clear, go for it..........

Ember tetras? Shrimp? To be honest, I avoid any tank smaller than 10 gallons for anything besides bettas. Green neons are an option.

I'd suggest getting a starter ten gallon instead because as logical as it may seem, fish in general will not thrive in a five gallon tank. A ten gallon has plenty space for a couple fish but I wouldn't recommend getting guppies for these reasons:

they spawn like CRAZY

all males are pretty but will fight and possibly kill each other (I had four males and was left with one after two weeks)

all females are usually unappealing

Basically, a male and a female=TOO MANY GUPPIES! XD I think you should resolve to using the 5 gallon for a plant and add pretty rocks and water and buy a ten gallon tank for your fish:) Surprisingly, plant displays look great with a bit of washi tape, a cütë plant and some nice stones.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Unfortunately, a 10 gal is not an option.

The dwarf puffers are cool, but I've read 30 gal minimum on those.

Is there any way to get guppies in the tank? I definitely understand the concern with that, but I've heard 5 gal is fine in a lot of different places.

I suppose 2 or 3 male guppies would live, but it's not ideal. Certainly I wouldn't add otos.

And dwarf puffers, as in the dwarf indian puffer, should be fine in a well-maintained 5.

Just one, which I now realize goes against your desire for more than one fish.

Is it an active fish? Or will it be resting for a lot of the time? One of the reasons I was looking at guppys is because they are very active. If the puffers are an active fish, I might get one. I've read that they go well with ottos. Could I get 1 or 2 of those with the puffer or is that to much for a 5?

Back
Top Bottom