Can I stop Ich treatment early?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey! I have been fighting Ich for the past two weeks, and i was planning to stop treatment this Sunday. My fish seem fine and the spots disappeared a week ago. Do you think i can stop today (it's only two days early). The reason I want to stop is because the fish seem fine and I think it may start to be doing more harm than good. I have been treating with Kordon Ich attack and heat (82F). It was only a minor breakout, only one fish was infected. I just want some opinions for if I can stop a little early :) thanks! Here is a pic of how brown the water is!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391780645.157889.jpg

A good treatement must be kept 10 days in a row, the ich should worsen on day 4, then dissapear on day 7, continue to treat until day 10.

So probably if that do 1 weeks you didn't saw any traces of the parasite you can stop treatement.

I would do a good gravel vaccum, as some eggs or free parasites hide in it for short time. You should be ok.

Treating Ich

Hey! I have been fighting Ich for the past two weeks, and i was planning to stop treatment this Sunday. My fish seem fine and the spots disappeared a week ago. Do you think i can stop today (it's only two days early). The reason I want to stop is because the fish seem fine and I think it may start to be doing more harm than good. I have been treating with Kordon Ich attack and heat (82F). It was only a minor breakout, only one fish was infected. I just want some opinions for if I can stop a little early :) thanks! Here is a pic of how brown the water is!View attachment 221222

Hello trick...

I'm no fan of putting chemicals in the tank. You don't know how the fish, plants and good bacteria will be affected. If the tank was mine, I'd stop with the chemicals. I'd start and maintain an aggressive water change routine. Changing half the tank water every week or so will maintain pure water conditions. I'd also do a good job of vacuuming the substrate to remove parasites. You can reduce the salt you use to a teaspoon or so for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. The salt will slow the growth of any more parasites and strengthen the fishes immune system. Healthy fish in pure water conditions are rarely prone to disease. This bit of salt won't harm your aquatic plants. The 82 degrees is still tolerable for your fish and can be maintained for as long as needed.

Keep an eye on the fish. You can follow the these steps indefinitely. Once you're sure the parasites are gone, you can lower the tank temp to 76 or so degrees. I would keep up with the water changes, vacuuming and the salt long term, though. When I started in the "waterkeeping" hobby, I was told if I kept the water pure, I'd avoid 99.9 percent of the things that could go wrong in the hobby. After almost 10 years, they were right.

Hope this is helpful.

B

If you were using salt at 0.2% (2g/liters), then free swimming ick die instantly at theses levels. So you probably fine with the parasite. The temperature accelerate the parasite cycle, so everything should be dead at this time.

To remove all chemicals that can harm overtime, use carbon filtration, and do massive water change like the dude told you on last post, 50%WC now, and every weeks for 1 month. Personally, I do 50%WC each weeks for nutrients dosing for plants.

As the dude bradbury said, 1 teaspoon/5gallons will make 0.05% salt, and it's very good for fish immune system, so for the first week after your WC it can be good. Don't use iodized salt.

Hello trick...

I'm no fan of putting chemicals in the tank. You don't know how the fish, plants and good bacteria will be affected. If the tank was mine, I'd stop with the chemicals. I'd start and maintain an aggressive water change routine. Changing half the tank water every week or so will maintain pure water conditions. I'd also do a good job of vacuuming the substrate to remove parasites. You can reduce the salt you use to a teaspoon or so for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. The salt will slow the growth of any more parasites and strengthen the fishes immune system. Healthy fish in pure water conditions are rarely prone to disease. This bit of salt won't harm your aquatic plants. The 82 degrees is still tolerable for your fish and can be maintained for as long as needed.

Keep an eye on the fish. You can follow the these steps indefinitely. Once you're sure the parasites are gone, you can lower the tank temp to 76 or so degrees. I would keep up with the water changes, vacuuming and the salt long term, though. When I started in the "waterkeeping" hobby, I was told if I kept the water pure, I'd avoid 99.9 percent of the things that could go wrong in the hobby. After almost 10 years, they were right.

Hope this is helpful.

B

Hey B, it's good to hear from you again :)

I forgot to mention that the Ich attack is all natural, no chemicals. It has been 14 days total and 7 without any sign of ich. I can't vacuum the gravel because I don't own a gravel vac yet :facepalm: when I get home, I will do a 20+ Percent water change and lower the temp to 77 (slowly). Can I put new carbon in the filters?

They are showing no signs of ich on them, and I'm afraid that the high temps will start to give them unneeded stress. What do you think of my plan (water change, temp and carbon.)?

Back
Top Bottom