Can I Store A Partially-Used Bag of Eco-Complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylF2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to be replacing the gravel in my 38-gallon (moderate-to-high light) tank with Eco-Complete next weekend. I will have three 20lb bags, but probably won't use all of it.

Given the cost, I would like to save what I don't use. But I know it comes in a live bacteria liquid, and I'm not sure about storing an open Eco-Complete bag. Is this doable? Is there anything special I should do?

Thanks in advance.

actually, I'm sure you'll use all of it. its roughly 1 bag per 10gallons of standard rectangular tank space.

this is one of my 20gal tanks with 2 bags of eco complete. average substrate depth is just under 3", exactly what you want for planted tanks

20g09032005.jpg

but if you don't use it all, just drain the liquid off, and store the leftover dry.

Hmmm... What about the bacteria solution? Storing it dry will kill it. Is that not a big deal?

Also, I have a lot of rocks and driftwood. The larger "foundation" rocks will be (gently) placed on the bottom glass with the Eco-Complete poured around them (to prevent aquatic rockslides...), so I'm thinking 2.5 bags will give me about 3" coverage...

it's debatable whether the bacteria in eco-complete is really viable. it certainly won't instantly cycle your tank for you. i've found that it takes just as long to cycle with eco-complete as it does with any other substrate. i store half used bags of eco-complete and use them long after they've dried out. it's way too expensive to let go to waste ;)

malkore said:
but if you don't use it all, just drain the liquid off, and store the leftover dry.

I have 1/2 a bag that I tied a rubber band around with the liquid still in it. Should I drain it ? Does the liquid "turn bad" or something ?

I imagine that the bacteria are more for the plants than the fish - plants require some beneficial bacteria to help them break up and absorb nutrients in the soil. I doubt you will ruin the EC by storing it, but I would seal it in a rubbermaid bin, if for no other reason than to help prevent a messy accident later.

I too have little faith that the liquid does anything...although it most likely WILL raise you Kh and Gh a tiny amount, and water changes will take it back to normal. Nothing I'd worry about.

I'm unsure whether exposure to outside air will affect the liquid or not, hence why I err'd on the side of caution and recommend storing it dry.

Most likely if it doesn't develop a bad odor, it hasn't gone bad.

Back
Top Bottom