Can i take all the fish out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlindaxx05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My nitrate level is high but my ammonia level is normal. I've been changing the water every other day to see if I can get the nitrate level down but it's not working. I have a vacuum and I've been vacuuming regularly but I still think the problem is the bottom is too dirty.

Can I take all the fish out of the tank and put them in a bucket for an hour so I can clean the tank thoroughly?

Just remember if you clean to thoroughly you could clean your good nitrifiying bacteria

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Also, you could try cleaning your filter real well, there could be lots of gunk in there. Just remember to float your media in the tank while you clean the filter. Your fish should be fine in a bucket with an air stone running and/or with the filter hung on the bucket for a short while. If you can also put your heater in the bucket and a few plants they will be more comfortable.

What size tank and what fish are in there? Perhaps you're overstocked and fighting a losing battle.

When I moved from wisconsin to iowa I put my two tanks in two large plastic storage tubs one tub had a black more and common goldfish. the other one had six miscellaneous medium size african ciclids. Both tubs had an air line stuck in there. And I didn't lose any fish. it was about a 11 hour ordeal

blert said:
Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Also, you could try cleaning your filter real well, there could be lots of gunk in there. Just remember to float your media in the tank while you clean the filter. Your fish should be fine in a bucket with an air stone running and/or with the filter hung on the bucket for a short while. If you can also put your heater in the bucket and a few plants they will be more comfortable.

If you float your filter media in your tank its going to fill your water with muddy gunk and fish crap...trust me

tarpon said:
If you float your filter media in your tank its going to fill your water with muddy gunk and fish crap...trust me

LOL. Rinse it in a bucket of old tank water first.

Yes, do that haha. Also i put my fish in a large bait bucket with an aerator while moving my tank to a different house similar to whats said before. So sure!

Back
Top Bottom