Can I use tap water for my Zebra danios?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_00ryan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve always used the fresh RODI water I purchase from my LFS for my tank with danios. However, I have limited water jugs and also need the RODI water to top of my reef tank. I’m anticipating not being able to go to my LFS due to the corona virus spreading in my area. Should I just do water changes with tap water for the danios? I do know it has no chlorine but don’t know the TDS of my tap water.

Is there something wrong with your tap water other than chlorine? If it’s just chlorine, use a water conditioner that gets rid of chlorine, that’s what most do, myself included. Or what about just letting the water aerate in a container for a couple of days?

I suggest you look into getting a RO system for yourself. You can get them for under $100 - as little as $65 - and you won't have to go to the LFS and carry jugs around. The system will pay for itself quickly.

I suggest you look into getting a RO system for yourself. You can get them for under $100 - as little as $65 - and you won't have to go to the LFS and carry jugs around. The system will pay for itself quickly.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Do you know if the RO buddy is any good? Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System with Color Changing Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00204CQF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bl8BEbB1AERA9

I’m considering this one for the price but I’m afraid it’s a bit too cheap. I can’t find many forum reviews (only one on r2r).

Unless there is something about your tap water that we dont know about, it will be fine with water conditioner. Zebra danios are one of the hardiest fish, and will be good in a variety of water conditions. I have zebra danios and they are just fine with tap water and conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom