Can i?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to set up another 10 gallon tank with my current one. I have an eheim 2211 as my filter, can i use a t section and hook the new tank im considering up to it or will the filter no be able to work that way?

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

So if I understand properly you want to split the intake and output between 2 tanks ?

On paper it sounds feasible but I'm not quite sure. Maybe you'll have to be the guinea pig ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

For the outputs a Y section might be better for even flow. A T might now be even to both tanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is definitely a bad idea. One of the tanks are going to overflow while the other will empty. You won't be able to equalize the flow between the two tanks.

hmm i never thought of that :facepalm:....... would it work if i used a smaller tube to the smaller tank on the outflow and inflow that way there will only be so much flow in and out and most would go to the larger tank? or maybe a regulator like the ones that come with eheim canisters for easy detachment to make controling the flow better. the ten gallon will most likely only have a betta in it anyways so being filtered is just a plus....

thoughts?

Nope, there's really no feasible way to do it without failure.. I spent weeks pondering the same thing with setting up a refugium for my salt water tank. Even a 1/2 gallon per hour difference is huge. If you really want to plumb multiple tanks together the only real way to do it is to set up a gravity drain system like the stacks at fish stores.

Bettas do need filtered heated water. If you want a cheap filter on that tank try a sponge filter.

i have an old whisper 20i charcoal filter that i can use but i was hoping to be able to run both on one. if disaster is going to happen id rather not chance it.

Using a canister filter on tanks that small seems like overkill to me. It would be a lot simpler to run lift tubes with sponge filters in each powered by one air pump.

I have a pleco about 4" long as well as other community fish so the bioload is pretty high thats why i switched from the charcoal whisper filter to the canister.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

Back
Top Bottom