can nitrites be too high during a cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
im helping my brother cycle his tank its a 75G hes into week two, the ammonia spiked now its 0 currently im testing with the api saltwater master test kit the nitrites are currently according to the test kit 5.0ppm and the nitrates are 40 or so can nitrites be too high during the cycle? im doing a fishless cycle with raw shrimp as ammonia source

im doing a fishless cycle with raw shrimp as ammonia source

You answered you own question, in a fishless cycle it doesn't matter how high it goes. the High the nitrites the more food source, but the longer it well take to get eaten. things will level themselves out.

You answered you own question, in a fishless cycle it doesn't matter how high it goes. the High the nitrites the more food source, but the longer it well take to get eaten. things will level themselves out.

yea but i was searching this forum and some members said high nitrites like this can stall the cycle maybe they were wrong

I cycled a 75 gallon a few months ago, seeded with live rock. It took less than a week before my ammonia started dropping. My nitrites were through the roof for just about 2 weeks. I left to go out of town on friday afternoon, and dosed with ammonia and my nitrates were literally off the charts on the API master kit. When I got home on sunday the nitrite test water was as blue as the sky. This is what I did when the water didn't turn purple.:eek2:
Nitrites take FOREVER to drop compared to the ammonia, but when the drop, they drop fast. Patience young grasshopper, patience.

I cycled a 75 gallon a few months ago, seeded with live rock. It took less than a week before my ammonia started dropping. My nitrites were through the roof for just about 2 weeks. I left to go out of town on friday afternoon, and dosed with ammonia and my nitrates were literally off the charts on the API master kit. When I got home on sunday the nitrite test water was as blue as the sky. This is what I did when the water didn't turn purple.:eek2:
Nitrites take FOREVER to drop compared to the ammonia, but when the drop, they drop fast. Patience young grasshopper, patience.

see thats the thing whenever ive done a fishless cycle the nitrites took a couple days to drop down to 0 guess i will wait a while

When I cycled my tank a few weeks ago, nitrite went from 5ppm for a week straight to 2ppm to 0.25 in around 24 hours. And my nitrate went from 160ppm to 80 to 20 to 5 in the same amount of time. So just be patient, it will happen soon.

Back
Top Bottom