Can of Sardines or Open Ocean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fear =Truth
Hahhaah!
>bump<

I see....
with the way tanks are totally packed tanks in sigs lately....instead of MTS it seems it is MFS! Tsk!
:lol: :wink:
Okay, I'll start.... my 40 gallon is holding a 9 inch BKG, 3 clown loaches at 7.-6-5 respectively, a 3.3 inch betta splendens male, 2 2 inch snail one 3 inch snail, 1-3in cory one 2 inch cory, 5 1 inch red phantoms,
Penguins: 2-3 inch
2-2 inch
Rummy nose: 1 whopping 3.8 inch rummy
2- 3 inch rummys
1- 2 inch rummys
1- 1 .5 inch rummy
1-1 inch rummy
SURVEY SAYS:
64.6 inches of fish plus added snails making it : 71.6 8O :oops:

Woo-hooo!

The rest of my tanks have about 5 fish a piece or less.

Any new person reading this:: also put in the fact that I do 2 50% changes a week and 25% every other day. And I test every Sat and Weds And I vacuum weekly..Including the UGF through the uplift.
I have lost a few tetras in that tank on our power outtages (with a temp of 60 I am happy to have lost only a few tetras). Never had a disease (>knock!<tank!). Crowding takes a careful hand or they will rip each other up or die of parameter spikes. I also do 4 week QT.Don't do this at home kids :wink:

Also these these guys move to 177 gallons this summer. The clowns adn knives are all foot long fish... 8)

To defy the inch per gallon logic, I direct you to my 55g at home.

2 angelfish, 2 clown loaches, and 4 plecostomus--- with the equivilant amount of waste as what I've seen in the tanks of big messy meateaters. By the inches rule..

Angels = 2x5" = 10"
Clowns = 2x4 1/2" (conservative estimate) = 9"
Plecostomus = 1x9", 1x8 1/2", 2x6" (rough estimates on the two little 'uns) = 29 1/2"
= 48 1/2"

...I'm understocked. :roll:

I think we all know who the culprits are, though.. :wink: Can't help that the entire family loves 'em.

It'll be interesting to see what I do with this 120g I'm getting my paws on. :p May sneak my plecos up here, but then again I may just trade them out for something else. Bring on the 200 neon tetra school! (J/k, j/k. :))

How would you count shrimp?
They don't seem to have nearly as high an impact on a tank as a similar amount of fish (going by inches). What about clams and filter feeding wood shrimp? And what about ALL those snails I have crawling around my tanks? And what about the plants? Can you overstock with plants?

In my 40 gallon I have about 32 inches worth of fish, but roughly 30-36" of shrimp and clams. It's well planted and I've never had any problems with ammonia spikes or waste buildup at all. Excess waste is used up by fast growing plants. I don't even bother cleaning the gravel much in the planted areas, I just prune back the plants...

Great read; I must resurrect it!

My tank is apparently overstocked, but I don't understand how it's such a bad thing.

1 angel, 4 gold barbs, 6 rummynose, 3 cories, 2 oto, 1 pleco, 1 yoyo = 44.5" of (adult) fish in a 30g long tank... and there are times when you don't see anything but the angel.

I suspect once all the fish are grown out and full size, then the tank will look more 'full', but considering the rummies and barbs school together and the angel's the only fish 'above the bottom', it only seems like there are a few fish actually in the tank, yet I'm @ 150% stocking? Meh...

lol its one thing to beat a dead horse but to acctually dig it out of its grave to beat it is a little overboard. im sure theres a few threads exactly like this that were started a little closer to this year.

if your looking for approval for your overstocking its doubtfull youl find it online. however if done properly its possible to overstock by typical standards and maintain healthy fish (however i dont reccomend it)

that said can you please give this hose its last rights and let it rest. if you have questions start a ne thread.

Well, mine is pretty heavily stocked. let's count.

36 = 2 Bala's
15 = 3 Congo's
35 = 5 Clown Loaches
18 = 1 Sailfin Pleco
8 = 5 oto's
13.5 = 9 Serpaes
6 = 3 head/Taillight tetras
12 = 4 Diamond Tetras
4 = 2 Blackskirts
18 = 3 SAE
2 = Cory
8 = Cochu blues
-------
175.5" of fish (when grown)

Currently it's at about 100"

The load is very dependant on the type of fish, Tetra's are very low polluters, Pleco's and goldfish are the worst 2. My Sailfin is about 50% of my bioload.

Back
Top Bottom