Can somone help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is only ever 1 reason we do water changes, period! That's to keep the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates down. It's to keep the water clean for our fish to live in.

Maybe for you, but not for everyone. Water changes are also important for a reduction in TDS and to replenish trace minerals. Fry tanks get even more frequent water changes because fresh water is nearly mandatory.

The only reason doing this is so difficult for beginners is because of all the hair brain exbirdy advice that makes something so simple so complicated. Beginners are so afraid they will mess it up because they didn't go to fish scientist academia and that they will be judged harshly by the fish cops.
Rude much? If it's not in you to understand the science behind the nitrogen cycle, then that's your right, but don't belittle those that do.

I do agree that it often gets way overcomplicated, but you have to understand that when people come here with problems, they want answers, and more than just 'do a water change', but the often the reasoning behind it.

Keep the tank clean and you will keep your fish alive. It's not as difficult as some make it out to be.

Do a water change, do several if you have to but keep the water clean. Feed once per day only and never over-feed. My tanks stay the same every week, water parameters "all-normal", test kit confirms and I only do a water change once a week. That's me, if your tank is dirty and your test kit shows high levels of ammonia-nitrites-nitrates and your losing fish, it's only because you failed to do the most important thing, change your water.
If it could be dumbed down to telling everyone to do water changes, it'd be nice, but people actually want advice with some content in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it could be dumbed down to telling everyone to do water changes, it'd be nice, but people actually want advice with some content in it.

It doesn't need to be dumbed down, it's already simple enough that any child can do.

First off, beginner aquarists could care less about the science or the content, they want to know the ABC's. People who like that stuff assume everyone does, they don't. The nitrogen cycle is very easy to understand when you are not talking like a scientist, it's not complicated.

The only ones who care about trace minerals are the ones who have an interest in it. FYI 99% of beginners do not. You do, but they don't and it's not necessary content for a beginner to know.

I prefer practical advice and can do without all the extra content :banghead:

It doesn't need to be dumbed down, it's already simple enough that any child can do.

First off, beginner aquarists could care less about the science or the content, they want to know the ABC's. People who like that stuff assume everyone does, they don't. The nitrogen cycle is very easy to understand when you are not talking like a scientist, it's not complicated.

The only ones who care about trace minerals are the ones who have an interest in it. FYI 99% of beginners do not. You do, but they don't and it's not necessary content for a beginner to know.

I prefer practical advice and can do without all the extra content :banghead:
First off, you are assuming everyone that comes here for help is a beginner, which is wrong. Second, you are making assumptions for people, and just because you don't need to know/care to know about the science behind something, doesn't mean that no one else does.

Sure, everyone could give the short answers, but that's not what forums are for.

It's your preference, but not everyone feels the same way. Some people want to understand why things are happening with their tank, and anyone can say 'oh well do water changes and everything will be fine.' Not nearly as many can adequately and accurately explain why it's important to do so.

It's also important to understand that these forums are for everyone. Along with that newbie that's reading about what the nitrogen cycle is and how it works, theres another hundred or two reading it as well. Many people read for their knowledge/reference and don't post at all in the thread.

You can go anywhere and be told that all you need is a water change, but only a few places will actually take the time to explain to you in detail why you need do one.

Believe me, I agree with you on some of your points, especially with some of the overcomplication I see in some of the threads, but overall I'd rather have it overcomplicated then not explained at all.

I found out that my tank was high in nitrite but for some reason my test let me down. My stock has been reduced and I am doing daily water changes. I have also added another filter thus be it a smaller internal one. I have primed it with some media from the existing filter. The deaths are slowing down possibly stopping I think. Can anyone suggest anything else I can do.
One other thing I have noticedis that one I turn tge lights out some of my fish start listing to one side very slightly. I read that this is a sign of nitrite damage but this is only when the lights are out. If I turn them on tge all straighten up. I have also read that if wall lights are on in the outside room the may lean towards it for orientation. This also makes sence. Can any one confirm the problem.

If you want to save what's left of your stock go get some hornwart it's a plant and it's really cheap throw some of that in there to help filter the extra nitrite. Continue daily PWC until nitrates drop off.

Ok a quick update on the tank of death. I have added another filter to my tank and I am doing daily water changes. Also using stress coat. My nitrites read at 0.05ppm. Is that safe yet.

Sorry 0.25 is the absolute max. You really want 0 when it comes to nitrItes, it's potentially more toxic than ammonia.
Your doing good, just keep it up a little longer and you will get to 0.

As my nitrites are going down the behaviour of my fish is changing. They are much happier eating from my fingers and seem to explore all four corners of the tank. Seems to have put an end to the tank of death.

Back
Top Bottom