Can too many amphipods be a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
After a month or so of running, I got the normal copepod and amphipod outbreak. I was using fully cured LR which made it a little worse than normal I think too. Anyways, went to my LFS for a couple of cheap predators and ended up with Bluefin Damsels to take care of my bugs. They did great with the copepods, but won't touch the amphipods. Took them about half a day to learn I was an easy meal, so now they follow me around the tank like dogs:D Seriously though, I have alot of amphipods and they are getting pretty big. Most are .25" long already with a few big-boys around .50". Are they going to become a problem if they continue to multiply and grow? They seem to be great cleaners, and love hanging around my turbo and astrea snails.

As far as I know there is no problem with having a large population of pods. Amphipods and copepods are a very good sign.

Right now there is nothing eating them so they are multiplying like mad and they are out and about. Once you have fish in the tank you wont see them as much as they will be hiding.

Doesn't sound like a problem IMO.

Back
Top Bottom