can you buy a gar fish to put in a tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drprowant

Aquarium Advice Regular
i really want a gar they look cool and did not know if you can buy them or legally have one

You would need a huge tank to keep them. Check out dwarf pikes for something similar that offers itself to normal home aquaria.

We got gars several times quite a few years ago through the LFS. We kept them in a 100gal aquarium and grew several out over 24 inches. The ones we were getting we not real active swimmers, so keeping one in a 100gal tank was not an issue.

Try pike characins. They are kind of like gar. I hate gar so much when I go fishing. Caught a 3 foot alligator gar once. Its head was as wide as the crappie I was trying to catch. Also caught a smaller longnose...not needlenose gar while catfishing. Not as bad but it cut my line.

yeah unless you have a large pond or multiple hundred gallon tank i'd advise against it

as far as obtaining, etc. i dont know the legality or anything, id check somehow locally if you're really vested in one

I had one years ago,...it was amazing to watch it ever so slowly " dog paddle" across the tank in order to catch a feeder goldfish.....it would take him a couple of minutes to manuver himself in position, kinda like watching a floating log just barely moving but once it got near the goldfish and attacked, it was just a blur and the only thing you saw were gold scales falling,.....probably one of my favorite fish I've ever had in a tank.

Back
Top Bottom