Can you fill a tank with a "Drain & Fill" kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afishoutofh2o

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was reading in another post that one aquarist is filling her/his tank using one of these "Drain & Fill Kits" http://www.aquariumguys.com/gravelvac1.html
http://www.pythonproducts.com/nospill.htm

How can you do this? How do you remove the chlorine/chloramine before filling the tank?

Also, do you need to change the tubing after draining in order to fill the tank (to avoid cross contaminating other tanks).

I would love to use one of these kits - it would make water changing so much easier.

Add the tap water to a rubbermaid container using a python to get the water to the container, then treat with dechlor. Wait 15-20 minutes (to let the temperature equalize with the air temperature, since you have 10 gal tanks) and the use the python to get the treated water into the tank.

You don't pre-treat the water with a Python. I have been using one for a year and have never had any complications due to not treating the water prior to adding the dechlor. But, it depends on what your water quality is like. Basically, plug the end of the python into a water source (we use a garden hose, OUTSIDE of course because it pulls a greater suction than the kitchen faucet does), then turn on the water and it will suck out the water from the tank. Then when you have pulled out enough water, bring the python inside to a faucet that you can control the temp. Use a thermometer (I go by touch since I've been doing it for so long) to get the temp to the correct temp. Then just turn the blue thing and it will fill the tank. While it's filling, pour in the dechlor. That way it mixes around the tank. I would never go back to pre-mixing water since I've gotten the Python. It makes water changes a snap. We do all of our tanks in about 45 minutes. The bulk of the time is just refilling the 150. Normally I'll just plop down on the couch and watch tv as it fills. :D

Considering that you have 10 gal tanks, I would just stick to a normal gravel vac. When I use the python on my 10 gal, the water sucks out so fast that I don't have enough time to suck out all the debris in the tank before I get to 40% of the water sucked out.

i just recently got one of these, and let me tell you, it's definately worth the investment.

If you do a search here using the keyword "Python" you will discover many, many threads discussing the use of this most wonderful invention. I would not have as many tanks as I do if I did not use one, believe me.

I fill my tanks straight from the tap and add dechlor as I am filling - it is truly safe and the fish even swim right through the current of the new water coming in so I don't imagine it bothers them too much. Sometimes when I run my tap water I can literally smell a bit of chlorine and in spite of this I have had no problems in the who knows how many years I have had mine. I have replaced the white plastic sink adapter with a brass one, and I have had to replace the ball valve several times, but I could not function without it.

TG-So, when you add the dechlor while the tap water is flowing into the tank, do you pour in the recommended dosage or do you just keep pouring in the dechlor constantly while the tank is filling with tap water.

If your adding tap water directly into the tank it is advisable to treat the entire volume of water with the dechlorinator.. If it was say a 55 gallon tank you would just add enough dechlor. for 55 gallons, no matter how big the water change.. this is just to make sure the chlorine doesnt get away from the dechlorinator.. Most people have done fine by just adding enough dechlor. for the amount of water they are adding but is not as safe....

Right - I add enough dechlor for the entire volume of tank water that I am treating, not for the amount of new water I am adding.

i got the lee's 50' kit for xmas and it helps tremendously; the only problem is the plastic adaptor like TankGirl mentioned but i just bought a $3 metal one from a hardware store and that was that :mrgreen:

As the water enters the python, it aerates the water and removes most of the chlorine. That is why you can add dechlorinator directly into the tank or by adding it in the stream of water.

It is the greatest thing to have when keeping multiple tanks.

i have myself a homemade python.... usually I just dump some dechlor into the tank and then fill.. never had a problem at all.

You may want to see if your city uses chloramine instead of chlorine. Chloramine does not disspate into the air readily, as chlorine does, so a dechlor is still necessary. Even though Virginia Beach uses chloramines, I add the dechlor to the tank before filling.

Speaking of homemade Pythons, you can use the valve for filling and draining waterbeds - it is the same concept, and is much cheaper to get that plus some tubing or drinking water grade hose and make your own.

I made a real similar DIY python. They had this hose at Home Depot for "marine" use.. boats etc. It is made from medical grade vinyl and has stainless steel fittings. That was about 10 bucks. I made the rest pretty much like that link shows. One thing, I bought a replacement part for a real python, its the adapter to go from the garden hose to the tubing. It has a nice leak tight design (my DIY adapter leaked) and was only about $5. All in all I spent less than $30. I used my own faucet adapter from my old waterbed fill kit. But, I saw that PetSmart also had those for sale as a Python replacement part for about $8.

I add dechorinator for only the volume changed (ok, maybe a little extra), but I only change small amounts and I leave the filters running to help circulate both the new water and the dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom